Mercedes will support the career of European Formula 3 champion Esteban Ocon, the German marque announced on Thursday.
As part of the deal, Ocon will have the role of test and reserve drive for Mercedes in the DTM series.
The Frenchman, currently competing in GP3, has signed a contractual option that could see him become a full-time Mercedes driver in the future, according to the German manufacturer.
"Esteban is a mega-talented young guy and one of the stars of the future," said Mercedes boss Toto Wolff.
"I'm pleased we've found a good path to continue his relationship with Mercedes-Benz, because we have a strong tradition of supporting the best young drivers with a view to their long-term potential.
"We will be watching Esteban's progress with a lot of interest and I hope this year will be the first of many working together."
Ocon, who beat Toro Rosso driver Max Verstappen to the European F3 title last year, is making his GP3 racing debut this weekend in Barcelona with ART Grand Prix.
"I'm really proud to have the support of Mercedes-Benz this season and that the Mercedes AMG DTM team has trusted me with the important role of test and reserve driver," he said.
"I spent last weekend with the DTM team in Hockenheim and hope that I can play a valuable role this year.
"But my main focus is on the opening races of the GP3 Series this weekend. I am proud to be racing with support from Mercedes-Benz and in a fantastic team like ART Grand Prix.
"I hope that I can compete for the title this year, starting with strong results in Barcelona."
Paffett slates Tomczyk for “stupid” crash
Ekstrom laments loss of “proper” DTM qualifying