F1 should consider bringing back active suspension - Boullier
McLaren racing director Eric Boullier has suggested Formula 1 should consider bringing back active suspension.
The technology has been banned since the start of the 1994 season but was one of various ideas proposed at a meeting of technical directors and the FIA last week.
F1 teams have failed to reach an agreement on the legality of trick suspension systems, with a ruling expected from the FIA before the end of the month.
Debate about pre-loaded suspension systems has been ongoing since Ferrari designer Simone Resta wrote to F1 race director Charlie Whiting about the devices helping aerodynamic performance.
Ferrari was believed to be seeking guidance on whether concepts used by rival teams were legal rather than seeking to develop its own.
When speaking about the suspension discussions, Boullier suggested active suspension - which was key to rival Williams's 1992 and '93 world championships - could be the solution to end the debate.
"Suspension, it's a funny topic," he said. "We should maybe one day stop it and copy the road car, which is to bring active suspension back, because at least it will close the debate.
"Today, everything is subject to the interpretation of the regulation and then you can push for one concept, which you can see can be differently interpreted from another one.
"This is which is why Ferrari is trying to push its opinion or interpretation being valid by the FIA. We're in the middle of this and actually, most of the teams have contacted us over this topic.
"Ferrari has a different interpretation of what can be done and they try to push their opinion through which obviously does not please some other teams."
It is believed a fresh technical directive from Whiting giving his opinion on the situation will be distributed before the end of the month.
It is hoped the ruling will deliver clear guidelines on what is and is not allowed, and doing so before testing begins at Barcelona on February 27 would at least give teams time to adjust before the season opener next month.
Should there be ongoing disagreements about the situation, it is possible the matter could result in a showdown at the Australian Grand Prix.
Looking ahead to the season opener, Boullier said it was difficult to predict the pecking order, but he expected there to be some surprises.
"This year, we have a new aero package and some teams will do a better job than some others," he said. So at the beginning of the season, there will be some difference, I'm sure some surprises.
"But the teams will then copy each other, or will integrate each other's concept into their own concepts, and again we will tend to have more disparity - but I'm sure it'll be closer."
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments