Skip to main content

Recommended for you

F1 V8 engine return backed as David Coulthard says series can go "zero emissions"

Formula 1
Miami GP
F1 V8 engine return backed as David Coulthard says series can go "zero emissions"

Rob Smedley sounds alarm on "slightly soul-destroying" Ferrari F1 upgrades

Formula 1
Miami GP
Rob Smedley sounds alarm on "slightly soul-destroying" Ferrari F1 upgrades

Denny Hamlin wants NASCAR and FOX to take accountability for missed incidents

NASCAR Cup
Watkins Glen
Denny Hamlin wants NASCAR and FOX to take accountability for missed incidents

Why Jolyon Palmer believes Audi F1 is “behind on the curve” after Miami GP

Formula 1
Miami GP
Why Jolyon Palmer believes Audi F1 is “behind on the curve” after Miami GP

Denny Hamlin: NASCAR appeals hearing ‘not a fair fight’

NASCAR Cup
Watkins Glen
Denny Hamlin: NASCAR appeals hearing ‘not a fair fight’

McLaren unveils special Indy 500 liveries

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
McLaren unveils special Indy 500 liveries

Winners and losers from a split strategy NASCAR cup race at Watkins Glen

NASCAR Cup
Watkins Glen
Winners and losers from a split strategy NASCAR cup race at Watkins Glen

24 Hours of Nurburgring weekend tickets sell out for first time ahead of Max Verstappen debut

NLS
24 Hours of Nurburgring weekend tickets sell out for first time ahead of Max Verstappen debut

Apple new frontrunner for F1 streaming rights over ESPN in U.S.

The tech giant is aiming to outbid ESPN for the rights to stream F1 races in America from 2026

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 25: Race winner lnp during the F1 Grand Prix of Monaco at Circuit de Monaco on May 25, 2025 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Peter Fox/LAT Images)

Lineup of F1 race finishers on May 25, 2025 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Peter Fox/LAT Images)

Photo by: Peter Fox / Getty Images

Autosport Business

The latest industry-related news and original reporting to keep you up to speed

Apple is going all-in on Formula 1. Weeks after the ‘F1’ movie became the company’s biggest box office smash, the Silicon Valley giant has reportedly submitted a blockbuster bid for the U.S. media rights to stream Formula 1 races starting in 2026.

A source familiar with the matter told Business Insider that Apple has submitted a bid worth at least $150 million a year for the exclusive rights. The insider also suggested that current rights holder ESPN, owned by Disney, is unlikely to match that figure, though negotiations are still ongoing.

Motorsport.com has reached out to Formula One Management for comment.

Apple already has deals in place to stream a handful of baseball games, along with all Major League Soccer games, but F1 would represent its most high-profile global sports investment yet. The Financial Times previously reported Apple’s interest in the F1 rights following the success of their Brad Pitt-led flick, which was released globally last month.

ESPN has been broadcasting F1 races since 2018, when NBC opted out of its $4 million licensing deal. The Disney-owned channel originally acquired the rights at no cost, but as the sport’s popularity ballooned following the success of Netflix’s ‘Drive to Survive’ in 2020, they coughed up $5 million a year through 2022. The following year, ESPN agreed to a new deal, worth $75 million to $90 million per annum.

Now, F1’s parent company Liberty Media is reportedly seeking a deal worth $150 million to $180 million annually, which reflects the sport’s mammoth growth. However, viewership in the States has begun to flatten. ESPN reported an average of 1.2 million viewers per race in 2022, and that number decreased to 1.1 million the following year. The figure has since jumped back to 1.2 million, but it remains to be seen whether the success of the ‘F1’ movie will meaningfully impact viewership, especially given that most races are broadcast early in the morning or overnight in American time zones. 

Read Also:
Previous article Cadillac F1 chief confirms talks with Mick Schumacher but rules out Daniel Ricciardo
Next article Jonathan Wheatley throws support behind Sergio Perez amid F1 return talks

Top Comments

Latest news