NASCAR clears Stewart for Chase eligibility

Although Tony Stewart missed three races following the tragic accident and loss of Kevin Ward Jr., he's still eligible to compete for the play-off spot.

NASCAR clears Stewart for Chase eligibility
NASCAR President Mike Helton
Mark Martin, Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet
NASCAR President Mike Helton
Tony Stewart, Stewart-Haas Chevrolet
Tony Stewart, Stewart-Haas Chevrolet
Tony Stewart, Stewart-Haas Chevrolet
Tony Stewart, Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet
Pole winner Tony Stewart, Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet
Tony Stewart in action in his winged sprint car
Pit stop for Tony Stewart, Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet
Victory lane: race winner Tony Stewart, Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet celebrates
Race winner Tony Stewart, Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet celebrates

HAMPTON, Ga. – Despite the involvement of Tony Stewart in an ongoing investigation by the Ontario County Office of Sheriff of the death of Kevin Ward Jr., NASCAR cleared the driver to race and declared him eligible for the Chase to the Sprint Cup.

President Mike Helton made a brief statement deferring to the release the sanctioning body sent out on Thursday and added that NASCAR has been in close contact with Stewart-Haas Racing throughout Stewart’s absence.

After Helton welcomed Stewart back to the racetrack, he offered an explanation behind NASCAR’s dispensation.

“As you can imagine, once Tony was cleared to return and he decided to come back, the question goes to his possible eligibility in the Chase,” Helton said. “I'll remind everybody back earlier this year when we announced the format for the '14 Chase, that announcement included some responsibility about the routine participation in the season in order to be eligible in the Chase. Along with that importance of routine participation also came ‘the asterisk’, so to speak, about except in rare instances (EIRI). 

“This has been a very unique set of circumstances to Tony and to our sport.  As the league, it's our responsibility to try to make decisions that are correct and right.  Sometimes we evaluate circumstances that are given us and then make those decisions as correctly as we can. After evaluating the circumstances around this occurrence, we've come to the conclusion that Tony would be eligible to participate in the Chase if he were to earn a spot in it.”

This has been a very unique set of circumstances to Tony and to our sport.  As the league, it's our responsibility to try to make decisions that are correct and right.

Mike Helton

Judgment call

Helton says the “experience” the sport has had with other drivers that have been forced to sit out for one reason or another came into play with their decision to allow Stewart to compete this weekend and remain eligible for the Chase.

“You're well aware of our policies and procedures on reinstatement when someone is absent, for whatever reason it may be,” Stewart said. “So these would apply to similar situations, except for the fact that this was very unique.

“The reinstatement process doesn't begin until the competitor is ready to come back.  That's what we've been through this week.”

When NASCAR first introduced the new Chase format for 2014, eligibility was based on drivers in the top 30 in the point standings that had qualified for and competed in every race. In March, Hamlin qualified for the Sprint Cup race at Auto Club Speedway, but sat out after a piece of metal was lodged into his eye.

Hamlin went on to win at Talladega Superspeedway and is currently 20th in the point standings despite missing Fontana.

Stewart’s situation was a bit different. While racing winged Sprint Cars at Canandaigua Speedway in Ontario County, N.Y. on Aug. 9, he was involved in an accident that took the life of Kevin Ward Jr.

Helton said the sport’s “scope of responsibility is to our membership, our events.”

“Sometimes incidents occur outside of the sanctioned event that we have to consider in the participation of members,” Helton added.

Passing the tests

Stewart, 43, is currently 26th in the Sprint Cup point standings. With two races remainging to determine the Chase field, Stewart would have to win this weekend at Atlanta or next weekend at Richmond to earn a playoff berth.

When Stewart broke his leg in a Sprint Car accident last year in August, he was 11th in the point standings before he missed the final 15 races of the season. Stewart returned to NASCAR competition at Daytona Speedweeks in February and was 19th in points prior to pulling out at Watkins Glen following the accident at Canandaigua.

Helton would not go into the specifics of what “the multiple clearances”, whether legal or psychological, that Stewart had to pass prior to returning to racing.

When it comes to the assurances that a driver or a NASCAR member is ready to return, we’re going to rely on outside experts.

Mike Helton

As Helton wrapped up his press conference, Philip C. Povero, Sheriff of Ontario County, New York released the following statement:

The investigation into the death of Kevin A. Ward Jr., which occurred August 9, 2014, at the Canandaigua, New York Motorsports Park will continue for at least another two weeks.  The Ontario County Office of Sheriff has reviewed this investigation, as it has been developed to date, with members of the District Attorney’s Office. The Office of Sheriff will continue to apprise the District Attorney of information as it is developed.  When the investigation is completed, the news media will be advised as to what action will be taken.  The Ontario County Office of Sheriff thanks all media outlets for their patience and understanding as we continue to thoroughly investigate this tragic crash.

shares
comments
Chase clinch scenarios for Atlanta

Previous article

Chase clinch scenarios for Atlanta

Next article

Stewart returns in emotionally charged press conference

Stewart returns in emotionally charged press conference
Load comments
From the archive: Dale Earnhardt’s final Autosport interview Prime

From the archive: Dale Earnhardt’s final Autosport interview

The death of Dale Earnhardt in the 2001 Daytona 500 shocked NASCAR to the core. At the Daytona 24 Hours, two weeks before his fatal accident, ‘The Intimidator’ shared his expectations of challenging for an eighth Cup title with JONATHAN INGRAM, in an article first published in the 15 February 2001 issue of Autosport magazine. Little did we know then what tragedy would unfold…

NASCAR Cup
Feb 18, 2021
The lasting NASCAR legacy after Dale Earnhardt’s death Prime

The lasting NASCAR legacy after Dale Earnhardt’s death

On February 18, 2001, seven-time NASCAR Cup champion Dale Earnhardt – the fearless ‘Intimidator’ – was in his element at Daytona International Speedway. While his own DEI team’s cars ran 1-2 towards the finish line, his famed #3 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet Monte Carlo was playing rear gunner to block any late runs from the chasing pack. As the cars tore through Turns 3 and 4 on that fateful final lap, Earnhardt maintained the strongarm tactics that encapsulated his persona… but his actions in those moments sadly proved to be his last.

NASCAR Cup
Feb 18, 2021
Inspired by Pitbull, the “revolution” sweeping through NASCAR Prime

Inspired by Pitbull, the “revolution” sweeping through NASCAR

The NASCAR Cup Series is changing. Whether it be the gradual morphing out the seasoned drivers of yesterday as the next generation step up, a radical calendar shake-up featuring more road courses than ever before and the prospect of an all-new car on the horizon, stock car racing’s highest level is nearing the end of a huge facelift.

NASCAR Cup
Feb 16, 2021
The NASCAR storylines to watch out for in 2021 Prime

The NASCAR storylines to watch out for in 2021

This weekend's Daytona 500 kickstarts a NASCAR Cup season that promises plenty of intrigue courtesy of new owners and a refreshed calendar. Here's what you need to know ahead of the new season…

NASCAR Cup
Feb 13, 2021
Why Kyle Larson can't blow his big shot at redemption Prime

Why Kyle Larson can't blow his big shot at redemption

From a disgraced NASCAR exile, Kyle Larson has been given a chance of redemption by the powerhouse Hendrick Motorsports squad. Effectively replacing seven-time champion Jimmie Johnson is no easy billing, but Larson has every intention of repaying the team's faith...

NASCAR Cup
Feb 11, 2021
Why Roger Penske is an American motorsport icon Prime

Why Roger Penske is an American motorsport icon

In this exclusive one-on-one interview, Roger Penske reveals the inner drive that has made him not only a hugely successful team owner and businessman but also the owner of Indianapolis Motor Speedway and IndyCar. He spoke to David Malsher-Lopez.

IndyCar
Dec 28, 2020
Why NASCAR's latest second-generation champion is just getting started Prime

Why NASCAR's latest second-generation champion is just getting started

Chase Elliott's late charge to the 2020 NASCAR Cup title defied predictions that it would be a Kevin Harvick versus Denny Hamlin showdown. While the two veterans are showing no signs of slowing down, Elliott's triumph was a window into NASCAR's future…

NASCAR Cup
Nov 18, 2020
Why Kyle Larson deserves his second chance in a cancel culture Prime

Why Kyle Larson deserves his second chance in a cancel culture

“You can’t hear me? Hey n*****” Those fateful words uttered by Kyle Larson, spoken into his esports headset on April 12, were directed at his sim racing spotter – but instead they quickly became amplified around the world via social media, including his own Twitch stream.

NASCAR Cup
Oct 29, 2020