Penske non-committal on Supercars future

Team Penske isn't ready to publicly commit to its Supercars programme beyond the end of the current season.

Penske non-committal on Supercars future

There have been persistent rumours for several months that the US racing giant could leave the Aussie series, spelling the end of the current DJR Team Penske relationship.

Those rumours follow a period of intense success for DJRTP, which has racked up two teams' titles (2017 and 2019), two drivers' titles with Scott McLaughlin (2018 and 2019) and the 2019 Bathurst 1000 crown (McLaughlin and Alex Premat).

However the success hasn't come without controversy.

DJRTP led the development and homologation of the Ford Mustang, which sparked a fierce aero parity debate that ran throughout the 2019 season.

The team was also slapped with a record-breaking $250,000 fine ($100,000 of which was suspended) for an "Obligation of Fairness" breach at Bathurst last year.

While a Penske exit from Supercars is far from a given, there is still a reluctance from the team's US base to publicly commit to the category beyond this season – particularly given the uncertainty created by the coronavirus pandemic.

Team Penske president Tim Cindric told Motorsport.com: "With everything that is going on in the world it is probably a better conversation in a few months.

"Like many teams, we feel we need more time to better understand where Supercars is headed and the effects of this pandemic before we make too many comments about 2021 and beyond."

DJRTP managing director Ryan Story, who engineered the original DJR/Team Penske deal, wouldn't be drawn on the rumours when approached by Motorsport.com.

“We don’t comment on speculation," he said in a statement. "Our focus is on here and now and getting back to racing this weekend after a three-month absence.”

Among the uncertainty thanks to the COVID-19 situation is the future of the team's star driver McLaughlin.

The Kiwi was facing a potential full-time IndyCar switch as soon as next season, the timing of which helped fuel the Penske Supercars exit rumours.

However international travel restrictions seem to have put paid to any cameo appearances in IndyCar this year, the first of which – and the only formally confirmed – was due to be the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, which was pushed back from May 9 to next week.

A lack of IndyCar track time, hurt further by the series-wide deletion of test days, casts doubt over whether McLaughlin's permanent move to US open-wheel racing will happen quite so quickly.

shares
comments
Triple Eight makes masks mandatory for Sydney

Previous article

Triple Eight makes masks mandatory for Sydney

Next article

Purchase deal secured for Supercars backer Virgin

Purchase deal secured for Supercars backer Virgin
Load comments
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020
Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title Prime

Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title

Scott McLaughlin was quick to describe his third Supercars title as his best yet. But even though it didn't match the dramatic backstory of his 2018 triumph, there's a good reason for him wanting to control the narrative this time around.

Supercars
Oct 2, 2020
Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars Prime

Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars

The Bathurst Grand Final may provide Supercars its greatest spectacle yet – but there's a risk it will force the series to face a hard truth.

Supercars
Sep 4, 2020