Penske threatens Holden switch – reports

DJR Team Penske could ditch its Ford hardware and start running Holdens if it doesn't get some manufacturer support from the Blue Oval, an Australian magazine is reporting.

Penske threatens Holden switch – reports
Roger Penske, Will Power, Team Penske Chevrolet
Fabian Coulthard, DJR Team Penske Ford
Scott McLaughlin, DJR Team Penske Ford
Scott McLaughlin, DJR Team Penske Ford
Scott McLaughlin, DJR Team Penske Ford, Fabian Coulthard, DJR Team Penske Ford
Scott McLaughlin, DJR Team Penske Ford
Scott McLaughlin, DJR Team Penske Ford

The DJRTP outfit currently runs the ageing Ford Falcon FG-X package, the shelf life of which is under threat of being exposed by the brand new ZB Commodore, which made a winning debut in Adelaide earlier this month.

However building a new Supercar on a Ford platform isn't entirely straightforward; the brand hasn't tipped any money into the sport since the end of 2014, but still needs to sign off on the use of any of its bodyshapes, be it Mustang or Mondeo.

In what appears to be a bid to mount pressure on Ford Australia to help fund the development of a new car, Roger Penske told Australian magazine Auto Action that a switch to Holden hardware is not out of the question if it means being more competitive.

“You know, we can run a Commodore, too,” Penske was quoted as saying by the magazine.

“This is about winning. At a certain point, if you can’t get there on one horse, you’re going to have to get on another one.”

Since coming into the sport in 2015 Penske has made little secret that it's on the hunt for a manufacturer deal, with rival team owner Roland Dane picking the American as the most likely to bring a new brand into Supercars.

Penske's latest comments confirm that he's still in talks with other makes for a 2019 programme, given that Ford is showing little interest in bringing support back to the sport.

“We’ve had some discussions (about 2019 and beyond) with other manufacturers over, I’d say, the last 12-18 months," he told Auto Action.

"I think we have to take a real good look after ’18 and see who’s interested in us as a team and where we’re going because, right now, Ford locally is really not interested in any support.

“I think we’ve carried the Ford oval – and so has Prodrive (Tickford) – in a professional way and we’ve won a lot of races with Ford. So I would hope that maybe they’ll have a change of heart at some point and want to get back in."

shares
comments
BTCC champion Sutton makes Supercars test debut
Previous article

BTCC champion Sutton makes Supercars test debut

Next article

Supercars approves Ford and Nissan composite panels

Supercars approves Ford and Nissan composite panels
Load comments
Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match Prime

Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match

James Courtney has been around the block in his motorsport career it's fair to say. After a single-seater career cut short, he's won everything there is to win in Supercars. Following a rocky ride recently in the Australian category, he's found a happy hunting ground with Tickford Racing.

Supercars
Oct 21, 2021
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020