Prodrive takes Mostert off the market

V8 Supercars young gun Chaz Mostert has been locked in at Prodrive Racing Australia for two more years.

Prodrive takes Mostert off the market
Chaz Mostert, Prodrive Racing Australia
Chaz Mostert, Prodrive Racing Australia
Mark Winterbottom and Chaz Mostert, Prodrive Racing Australia Fords
Chaz Mostert, Prodrive Racing Australia Ford
Race winner Mark Winterbottom, Prodrive Racing Australia Fordand Chaz Mostert, Prodrive Racing Australia Ford celebrate first and second
Chaz Mostert, Prodrive Racing Australia Ford celebrates fastest time in testing
Chaz Mostert, Prodrive Racing Australia Ford celebrates fastest time in testing

It was revealed today that the team has decided to exercise a two-year option on Mostert’s contract, which means he will be a Prodrive driver until at least the end of 2017.

The news is another sign of stability for the Melbourne-based team, after Mark Winterbottom revealed to Motorsport.com that he plans to stay with Prodrive following Ford’s withdrawal from V8 Supercars racing at the end of the season.

According to team principal Tim Edwards, taking up the option on Mostert’s contract was a no-brainer.

“We had an option on Chaz for a further two years and while there was no rush to sort things out, there wasn’t any reason to delay either, so we exercised our option a while ago and we can continue on without any further speculation,” Edwards said.

“Chaz has been a breath of fresh air for the team and the sport. He is one of the next generation of stars and he keeps performing at a very high level so we’re very pleased with his development thus far.

“He and Mark will be driving together for at least the next three seasons so our fans and commercial partners have got a lot to look forward to.”

Mostert, who took his first two career pole positions in Perth less than a fortnight ago, added that he was happy to stay put.

“Prodrive Racing has taken up its option on me so I will be racing here for at least a further two years but our joint focus remains on success this year and more immediately on Winton this weekend,” said the 23-year-old.

“This is a great team. I get along great with the crew, we’ve enjoyed a lot of success in a short time and I am enjoying challenging and being challenged by Frosty (Winterbottom).”

shares
comments
Waters lands top Prodrive seat for V8 enduros
Previous article

Waters lands top Prodrive seat for V8 enduros

Next article

Analysis: Why the V8 Supercars SuperSprint format is under fire

Analysis: Why the V8 Supercars SuperSprint format is under fire
Load comments
Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match Prime

Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match

James Courtney has been around the block in his motorsport career it's fair to say. After a single-seater career cut short, he's won everything there is to win in Supercars. Following a rocky ride recently in the Australian category, he's found a happy hunting ground with Tickford Racing.

Supercars
Oct 21, 2021
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020