Supercars announces Gold Coast night race plans

Supercars is planning to run the 2020 Gold Coast 600 under lights.

Supercars announces Gold Coast night race plans

As part of its 2020 calendar announcement, the Aussie series has revealed plans to host its first night time street race.

As part of a new five-year deal with the Queensland government, which also includes securing the future of the Townsville 400, Supercars management has been given the green light to discuss a night race move with local stakeholders.

“By growing major events like the GC600, we’re creating tourism jobs for Gold Coasters,” said Tourism Industry Development Minister Kate Jones.

“By upgrading lighting along the course, we can make the GC600 one of the most iconic motorsport events on the planet.

“Our economic modelling shows this would boost revenue by more than $25 million – cash that will go straight back to local businesses and support local jobs.

“Major events are in the Gold Coast’s DNA and the tourism industry is part of the backbone of the Gold Coast’s economy – that’s why this just makes sense.

“The GC600 is a great national event. But by racing under lights, we can tap into a new global motorsport market that could have huge benefits for tourism on the Coast.”

Read Also:

Supercars CEO Sean Seamer said a night race in Surfers Paradise would make the event one of the biggest in the southern hemisphere.

“Premier Palaszczuk and her government share the vision of staging one of the most spectacular sporting and entertainment events ever seen in this country,” he said.

“This will elevate the Gold Coast 600 to one of the premier motorsport events in the southern hemisphere.

“It will bring thousands of additional visitors to Queensland and the Gold Coast for what will be an unbelievable event with Supercars in full flight under lights and in prime time.”

shares
comments
Supercars explains 2020 format changes

Previous article

Supercars explains 2020 format changes

Next article

Supercars considered keeping Sandown 500 name alive

Supercars considered keeping Sandown 500 name alive
Load comments
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020