Triple Eight calls for Supercars Safety Car investigation

Triple Eight team manager Mark Dutton has called for Supercars officials to investigate its Safety Car procedure off the back of Sunday's chaotic race at Pukekohe.

Triple Eight calls for Supercars Safety Car investigation

T8 driver Jamie Whincup played a key role in the chaos, illegally passing the Safety Car after deducing that he'd wrongly been identified as the actual race leader, rather than the effective leader.

He was slapped with a drive-through once the race was restarted.

While Whincup maintains he made the right call given the circumstances, Supercars officials say his actions made it impossible for the field to be corrected, which left the likes of Lee Holdsworth, Fabian Coulthard and Cam Waters mired in the midfield.

According to Dutton, the Confederation of Australian Motorsport, which is engaged by Supercars to official events, needs to investigate the incident.

"Will there be an investigation? Will there be an investigation to say how were the lights on, because I think that's still correct, that the [orange] lights had been on," Dutton said.

"But they shouldn't have been.

"In every other level, or this level of professional sport, there should be an investigation into how it happened and changes implemented or systems to ensure it doesn't happen again.

"We'll worry about our side, we've got experience, so we'll see how we can improve our processes. But as a category it's happened more times that way than times we've stuffed up [as a team].

"So we'll look at ourselves internally, but I do hope something gets done because it wasn't just us who got hurt in that race-wise. There was a lot of cars that finished much, much worse than they should have because of that.

"So it's a big deal and needs to be treated accordingly."

Read Also:

Dutton wouldn't confirm if Whincup had been given a direct order to pass the Safety Car, instead highlighting that there would be no finger-pointing in the seven-time champ's direction.

"We'll analyse all that and see what we did wrong," he said. "Apart from the outcome of passing the car with the lights on – that's the easy part, yes we did that wrong.

"But what led us to make that mistake? It’s not just pointing the finger at Jamie, we're all in it together."

When asked about Dutton's comments by Motorsport.com, Supercars deputy race director David Stuart said that a post-race debrief is a standard part of race control procedure.

“In response to the comments that you mentioned from Mark Dutton, like any race team, we’ll go back, we’ll replay the race through the timing system," he said.

"I’ve already looked at it immediately after the race, I went to the timing room and I replayed up until Lap 14-15 through the timing system.

"I’ve got a pretty good understanding of where everybody was and what the situation was, but as I said, like any race team, we’ll go back, we’ll review and debrief with what we had and we’ll understand what the situation is.

"By car #88 going past the Safety Car it took away any opportunity we had to do that in-race.”

Race director Tim Schenken added: "I think it’s fair to say that we have a debrief after every race because we’re making no small decisions — we need to fix this, we could do this better, learn from that...

"So we debrief after every race with Supercars — it’s a joint debrief — to address any issues, and there are points after every race meeting.”

shares
comments
McLaughlin: Points gap enough to "attack" Bathurst

Previous article

McLaughlin: Points gap enough to "attack" Bathurst

Next article

Whincup could be sanctioned for explosive comments

Whincup could be sanctioned for explosive comments
Load comments

About this article

Series Supercars
Event Auckland
Drivers Jamie Whincup
Teams Triple Eight Race Engineering
Author Andrew van Leeuwen
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020
Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title Prime

Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title

Scott McLaughlin was quick to describe his third Supercars title as his best yet. But even though it didn't match the dramatic backstory of his 2018 triumph, there's a good reason for him wanting to control the narrative this time around.

Supercars
Oct 2, 2020
Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars Prime

Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars

The Bathurst Grand Final may provide Supercars its greatest spectacle yet – but there's a risk it will force the series to face a hard truth.

Supercars
Sep 4, 2020
Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver Prime

Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver

Scott McLaughlin, two-time and current Supercars champion, should have been making his NTT IndyCar Series debut for Team Penske at the GP of Indianapolis, but the Covid-19 pandemic forced a rescheduling that has put the brakes on his career switch. But David Malsher-Lopez explains why the New Zealander deserves this opportunity as soon as possible.

IndyCar
Jul 4, 2020
Tickford's 10-year wait for James Courtney Prime

Tickford's 10-year wait for James Courtney

When the Supercars season resumes James Courtney will be a Tickford Racing driver – but it's not the first time the star driver has flirted with the famous Ford squad.

Supercars
May 19, 2020