Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

Rossi, O'Ward, and Grosjean cars destroyed in huge Indy 500 practice crash

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rossi, O'Ward, and Grosjean cars destroyed in huge Indy 500 practice crash

Josef Newgarden leads abbreviated Indy 500 practice marred by storms, major wreck

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Josef Newgarden leads abbreviated Indy 500 practice marred by storms, major wreck

Drivers concerned about war

This weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix will go ahead, despite the concerns about the military conflict in Iraq. America commenced air strikes on Iraq in the early hours of this morning, with American and British troops on stand-by for further action.

This weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix will go ahead, despite the concerns about the military conflict in Iraq. America commenced air strikes on Iraq in the early hours of this morning, with American and British troops on stand-by for further action. There may be a race to be run, but Formula One drivers have the war in mind as well.

"We are not driving with such closed eyes," said Michael Schumacher. "We know pretty much what is going on and we are affected as well by it to some degree."

Some sporting activities have been called off, by the decision of individuals or governing bodies, but so far the Malaysian GP is deemed not at risk.

"Here we have quite a big structure around and I guess at the end of the day it is not a single man's decision except maybe (FIA president) Mr Mosley who can take a decision like this to decide whether it is safe or not," added the Ferrari champion.

"I guess they have looked into that and have reached a decision that it is safe to do so.It is not up to us to decide, it's pretty difficult for us sometimes."

Fellow German, and Sauber driver, Heinz-Harald Frentzen said: "I really thought a solution might be found at the last moment. I just hope the people will be okay."

Williams' Juan Pablo Montoya is used to conflict in his home country: "I am Colombian -- we've had war in my country for about 30 or 40 years," he said. "You open the newspaper every day and there's nothing but bombings and killings."

"Every time I race, I'm racing for Colombia, for the people there. If it takes their minds off the terrible things that happen, then it helps."

Previous article Decent chance for Montoya at Sepang
Next article Malaysian GP: Thursday press conference

Top Comments

Latest news