Buemi angered by "really unfair" investigation procedure

Nissan e.dams driver Sebastien Buemi was frustrated to have to start the ABB FIA Formula E race in Sanya from the pitlane as a result of a "really unfair" investigation procedure.

Buemi angered by "really unfair" investigation procedure

Buemi could not start Saturday’s ABB FIA Formula E race at Sanya from the grid because the time to charge his car after his post-qualifying investigation had run out.

The Swiss driver was set to line up fifth after he had crashed out of superpole – he had earlier topped practice and group qualifying – but a post-session penalty dropped him to sixth.

The penalty was because his car was “not in conformity with Article 12.1 (brake system)”, according to an FIA bulletin, but this did not condemn him to a pitlane start.

That eventually occurred because while the investigation was being completed, parc ferme conditions remained in effect and his Nissan e.dams team therefore had to wait to charge his car for the race.

But once it was charged, the pitlane had closed for the pre-grid formation and Buemi had to start from the pits along with HWA driver Gary Paffett. 

“My car was under investigation for so long that they did not allow me to charge the battery, so my battery was not charged and I could not make it to the grid,” Buemi told Motorsport.com 

“I felt it was really not very fair. I get it, that it was under investigation, but at least let me charge. 

“When they allowed me to charge, the pitlane was closed once it was done so I had to start from the pitlane, which was not really the pitlane, it's more than the pitlane [at this track, where the race starts on the run to the 10th corner]. 

“[This was] because by the time they let me go the last car was already [far ahead] – I couldn't even see it.

"I felt that was really unfair.”

Motorsport.com understands that Buemi’s qualifying braking infraction related to a problem to do with different modes on Nissan’s braking system.

Nissan e.dams team boss Francois Sicard explained that the compact nature of the FE schedule for the Sanya race, which started at 1500 – an hour earlier than most races in the electric championship – also did not help the team to charge Buemi’s car in time.

“We ran out of time and so especially in Sanya, where the schedule was a little tighter, it made the things even worse,” he told Motorsport.com.

“These things that can happen but it was difficult to accept because he has been penalised twice finally.”

Buemi charged from the rear of the field to run in the top 10 late on, but he was handed a post-race 10-second penalty for causing a collision with Robin Frijns, which also eliminated Lucas di Grassi.

That meant he ended up eighth in the final results.

Speaking before the penalty had been announced, Buemi said of that incident: “From my feeling I was trying to pass [Frijns] for many laps and at that point I felt like he was opening the line.

“[That meant] of course I went, and he realised that it was open and came back. Of course then it was too late.” 

shares
comments
Buemi penalised for triggering Frijns, di Grassi crash

Previous article

Buemi penalised for triggering Frijns, di Grassi crash

Next article

Wehrlein: Mahindra needs to revert to race-winning baseline

Wehrlein: Mahindra needs to revert to race-winning baseline
Load comments
The half-term report cards of each Formula E team in 2020-21 Prime

The half-term report cards of each Formula E team in 2020-21

In an eventful Formula E season, punctuated by rain and energy-conservation controversy, the 12 teams contesting the championship have endured many challenges in the opening seven races. Here's how they've got on across the first half of the season.

Formula E
May 26, 2021
How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco Prime

How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco

OPINION: It was no surprise to anybody that the laptimes achieved by Formula E cars on the full Monaco circuit were much slower than Formula 1. But perhaps the more relevant comparison was in the racing spectacle, where FE delivered in spades.

Formula E
May 12, 2021
How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover Prime

How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover

Formula E faced much criticism in the wake of its maligned Valencia event. In need of a turnaround, the series' first use of Monaco's iconic Formula 1 layout provided it with the injection of thrills required to clear the fog that had enveloped the paddock.

Formula E
May 11, 2021
Why Formula E's Valencia fiasco undermines engineering talent Prime

Why Formula E's Valencia fiasco undermines engineering talent

FIA president Jean Todt wanted more Formula E coverage in the media, and got his wish when the opening Valencia E-Prix proved farcical. Despite attempts to spin the race as teams failing to get their sums right, Formula E and its governing body cannot escape blame - especially when trying to get teams to commit long-term.

Formula E
Apr 27, 2021
How Valencia E-Prix farce gave Formula E an image problem Prime

How Valencia E-Prix farce gave Formula E an image problem

Formula E was under the microscope at Valencia, on its first visit to a permanent circuit. But after a mere nine drivers were left classified following Saturday's Valencia E-Prix, the electric championship once more faced criticism after rising energy deductions and miscalculations produced a farcical affair.

Formula E
Apr 25, 2021
How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome Prime

How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome

Another Formula E double-header, another double dose of frantic action. While the form guide remains unpredictable following fightback wins for Jean-Eric Vergne and Stoffel Vandoorne in Rome, the speed and consistency of Mercedes – both on and off the track – could have its rivals worried for what is to follow

Formula E
Apr 12, 2021
What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future Prime

What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future

Formula E's Gen3 era grid continues to take shape, after Nissan opted to commit to the series for another four years. Nissan's global chief operating officer explains why it has thrown its lot in with FE while other high-profile marques have decided to call it quits.

Formula E
Mar 24, 2021
Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start Prime

Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start

With the new Formula E season belatedly getting underway in Saudi Arabia, the championship appeared to try to make up for lost time with an overspill of action and controversy on and off the track. While some talking points could have serious repercussions, it was an explosive opener for many reasons.

Formula E
Mar 1, 2021