Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Formula 1
Monaco GP
On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

Honda failed to introduce 'Spec 4' engine at Spa

Honda had hoped to introduce a 'Spec 4' Formula 1 engine for this weekend's Belgian Grand prix, but failed to meet its development schedule, according to Yusuke Hasegawa.

Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
Yusuke Hasegawa, Senior Managing Officer, Honda
Fernando Alonso, McLaren
Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren MCL32
Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren MCL32
Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren MCL32

The Japanese manufacturer is pushing ahead with an aggressive development plan as it bids to make gains and prove to McLaren that they should continue with their partnership beyond this year.

On Thursday, it confirmed both Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne would run updated internal combustion engines at Spa, with Vandoorne also running a reliability improvement.

But Honda chief Hasegawa has revealed the update, which it christened spec 3.5 and 3.6, was only half of the package it had hoped to introduce.

"We had planned to introduce 'spec 4' here but we failed, we didn't match our schedule," said Hasegawa. "We're halfway through our upgrade so we called it 3.5 and 3.6."

Honda feels the upgrade has boosted performance, but Hasegawa said the gain was difficult to quantify given this is the first circuit it has run on.

"It's difficult to compare the previous engine to this engine because it's a different circuit," he said. "From the data point of view, we see a good update of the performance here."

McLaren executive director Zak Brown noted a step forward at Spa, but conceded the outfit, which is currently down in ninth in the constructors' championship, had been hoping for more.

"I don't think we've been satisfied all year but I don't think Hasegawa hasn't been satisfied with how things have gone," said Brown.

"We've seen some improvements here at Spa, not to level we had hoped for but some improvement nonetheless."

Spa follows McLaren-Honda's best race of the season in Hungary, before the summer break, when Alonso and Vandoorne finished sixth and 10th respectively.

Hasegawa said Honda took comfort from that result, but knows it still has a lot of work to do be on par with its rivals.

"In Hungary, we are very happy," he said. "We are very relieved we get points. But the performance we are not satisfied with. It's the minimum performance we need to achieve.

"Still we need to update engine performance to convince McLaren."

Previous article Renault still wants more answers on Kubica
Next article Vettel says he wasn't "doing the best job" in practice

Top Comments

Latest news