Massa - I would rather quit than be no.2
Felipe Massa on Thursday insisted he is not Ferrari's number two driver, confirming he is aiming for victory this weekend in Hungary. Since Hockenheim, where the Brazilian obeyed a team order to let teammate Fernando Alonso win, Brazilian ...
Felipe Massa on Thursday insisted he is not Ferrari's number two driver, confirming he is aiming for victory this weekend in Hungary.
Since Hockenheim, where the Brazilian obeyed a team order to let teammate Fernando Alonso win, Brazilian cartoonists have depicted Massa as a puppet.
"People will see him now as a 'yes man' who bends to the will of the company," David Coulthard wrote in his latest Telegraph column.
"And maybe they are right. Team player or stooge? The line is thin."
Mercedes' Norbert Haug said at a pre-race press conference in Hungary that the application of a driver hierarchy can affect motivation.
"If you say 'you are number two' ... it's a complex issue," said the German.
"If the drivers are not fully motivated you will not achieve anything. That needs to be kept in mind," added Haug.
Massa told reporters at the Hungaroring that he is aiming to win this weekend's race, where last year he suffered life-threatening injuries in a qualifying crash.
"The time I have to I say I am the number two driver, I will not race anymore," he pledged.
Earlier, he arrived at the Budapest venue with Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali.
We want your opinion!
What would you like to see on Motorsport.com?
Take our 5 minute survey.- The Motorsport.com Team
Share Or Save This Story
The season is still very long - Rosberg
Jules Bianchi's father speaks of family's continued hopes
Sauber under no illusions about constructors' position
Defendant ordered to pay £250,000 legal fees in Felipe Massa F1 title case
Felipe Massa’s F1 2008 lawsuit will proceed to trial
Felipe Massa's £64million legal claim update: Judgement reserved after three-day hearing
Lewis Hamilton stuns F1 fans with Ducati superbike arrival at Canadian GP sprint qualifying
Kimi Raikkonen goes viral with blunt two-word response to throwback F1 post
Why some F1 team bosses think drivers shouldn't have a say in the rules
Latest news
F1 Canadian GP: George Russell beats Kimi Antonelli to last-gasp Canada F1 pole
A push for Kyle Busch's immediate Hall of Fame and Most Popular Driver induction begins
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. leads only Coca-Cola 600 practice
Max Verstappen fires back at Juan Pablo Montoya over F1 suspension claim
Feature
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle
The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates
How Bruce McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
You have 2 options:
- Become a subscriber.
- Disable your adblocker.
Top Comments