Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Formula 1
Monaco GP
On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500
Breaking news

F1 top three will quickly pull clear, says Vasseur

Alfa Romeo boss Fred Vasseur thinks the top three teams will rapidly pull clear at the front of Formula 1 again, despite the gap appearing to have closed down over the winter.

Kimi Raikkonen, Alfa Romeo Racing C38

Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull were in a class of their own last season, but pre-season testing at Barcelona suggests their advantage has been trimmed back by the chasing pack.

While Vasseur thinks that things may well be closer when the season begins in Australia this weekend, he has no doubts that the trio will stretch their legs once they start bringing upgrades.

"It is close because they were fighting in 2018 for the championship and probably they started a little bit later than us," said Vasseur.

"But now they will be full push on the 2019 regulations, and they will develop much faster than the midfield teams and the gap will increase.

"It was not the case last year [that they pulled away] because at one stage you have a kind of convergence of performance after two or three seasons with the same regulations, but now we are starting from scratch."

Asked about where he felt Alfa Romeo stacked up, Vasseur said: "It is difficult to know and to say and honestly I think even Sunday evening the picture won't be a good one.

"All the teams are in a different situation in terms of preparation and so on, and if you have a look at the last 10 years, Melbourne is not very often representative of the season for different reasons.

"It is very early, the track is a green one and it is more about tyre management.

"Also the big topic is that the variation of temperature in Melbourne is always huge from one day to another one, and tyre management is never easy."

While most people expect the fight at the front of the midfield to be between Haas, Alfa Romeo and Renault, no one is yet sure about a clear order.

Renault's Nico Hulkenberg said that testing had delivered some contradictory data about where his team stacked up – and whether or not it had closed the gap to the top three

"Honestly, I really don't know," he said. "Some things suggest it's closer, some things suggest maybe less. I don't like to speculate on it much before. It's important we come as prepared as possible and bring the A game.

"This weekend will be the first true teller in respect to this. What the gap is to the top three teams and where we actually really stand, I'm not entirely sure. So let's just find out this weekend."

Haas driver Kevin Magnussen reckoned that the fight for fourth would be much tougher than it was last season – as he did not rule out other teams getting involved.

"It's going to be very hard this year, even harder than last year, because Renault have momentum, they took over Lotus and started building up," he said.

"Now is when they should really close in the gap to the frontrunners. They should be, they're a factory team, they've got the kind of resources that the top three have. So if we can take the fight to them again, that would be amazing.

"But Racing Point have got resources now as well, and they should be gaining momentum as well. Toro Rosso have got a closer tie with Red Bull, I think. It looks like it's going to be even harder this year than it was last year.

"So we need to up our game if we want to keep fighting the big boys in the midfield."

Previous article Australian GP: Thursday press conference
Next article Beating Verstappen "clearly not the target", says Gasly

Top Comments

Latest news