Skip to main content

Recommended for you

NASCAR adjusts hot topic rules for Trucks and O'Reilly Series

NASCAR O'Reilly
Charlotte
NASCAR adjusts hot topic rules for Trucks and O'Reilly Series

'Joy' is the key to NASCAR on Prime's success

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
'Joy' is the key to NASCAR on Prime's success

Team Penske makes another pit crew change for Ryan Blaney

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Team Penske makes another pit crew change for Ryan Blaney

The first-time winners of NASCAR's grueling Coke 600 and who might be next

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
The first-time winners of NASCAR's grueling Coke 600 and who might be next

Why the BMW M3 Touring was even faster than its sister M4 GT3

Endurance
Why the BMW M3 Touring was even faster than its sister M4 GT3

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Question of the week: Is more overtaking in F1 always better?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Question of the week: Is more overtaking in F1 always better?

MotoGP considering reducing riders to one bike from 2027

MotoGP
MotoGP considering reducing riders to one bike from 2027
Breaking news

Whitmarsh denies Honda factor in Lowe release

Briton Lowe, 51, will start work at Brackley in two weeks.

Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren Chief Executive Officer with Niki Lauda, Mercedes Non-Executive Chairman

May 21 (GMM) McLaren on Tuesday played down reports linking its new Honda engine deal with Paddy Lowe's early release to Mercedes.

Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren Chief Executive Officer with Niki Lauda, Mercedes Non-Executive Chairman
Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren Chief Executive Officer with Niki Lauda, Mercedes Non-Executive Chairman

Photo by: XPB Images

British broadcaster James Allen claimed McLaren's decision to drop Mercedes as its engine supplier after 2014, paving the way for Honda, gave Mercedes "a bargaining chip" to end former technical director Lowe's 'gardening leave'.

On his F1 blog, Allen said Mercedes is "very unhappy" about the turbo V6 data that could flow to Honda next year, "so it appears they have leveraged this situation to trigger the early release of Lowe".

But McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh on Tuesday told reporters releasing Lowe six months early simply "seemed like the right thing to do".

Briton Lowe, 51, will start work at Brackley in two weeks.

"It's not related to the Honda deal," Whitmarsh insisted. "The Honda deal and the Mercedes deals had been done, so there was no pressure brought to bear.

"It was entirely our decision and we hope that it creates some goodwill. Paddy's a good guy."

Previous article Williams F1 drivers preparing for Monaco GP
Next article Massa surprises fans in Warsaw with a Ferrari F1 car - video

Top Comments

Latest news