Button dominance 'bad' for F1 - Ecclestone
In the eyes of fans seeking an unpredictable sporting spectacle, the result of Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix was "very, very bad". That is the view of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, who on one level is enjoying Jenson Button's dominance so ...
In the eyes of fans seeking an unpredictable sporting spectacle, the result of Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix was "very, very bad".
That is the view of F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone, who on one level is enjoying Jenson Button's dominance so far in 2009.
"Very, very good result in one way," he told the Daily Express, when considering that only Michael Schumacher and Jim Clark managed the feat of six race wins in a season's opening seven races.
"It is obviously super for him but it is not great for the spectacle, the championship," Ecclestone added.
Some statisticians have calculated that, if 29-year-old Button's run of form continues, the 2009 championship could be mathematically over with six races to spare.
Ecclestone said: "You like to see superstars doing the job like this but I wish there was a bit more of a challenge. Might come yet."
No one in the paddock would be betting against Button, but as Mark Webber pointed out in Turkey, "two DNFs changes things obviously".
The Australian added: "Even if he's cruising and picks up a lot of results, not on the top step, it's going to be a long, long time for people to get that back."
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments