Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Jesse Love hits out at NASCAR race control: "I think it's a complete joke"

NASCAR O'Reilly
Charlotte
Jesse Love hits out at NASCAR race control: "I think it's a complete joke"

Rain forces NASCAR to postpone Charlotte Truck race for the third time this weekend

NASCAR Truck
Charlotte
Rain forces NASCAR to postpone Charlotte Truck race for the third time this weekend

Ross Chastain wins strange NASCAR O'Reilly Charlotte race, marred by rain, fog, oil slick

NASCAR O'Reilly
Charlotte
Ross Chastain wins strange NASCAR O'Reilly Charlotte race, marred by rain, fog, oil slick

NASCAR community says there was a difference between 'Rowdy' and Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR community says there was a difference between 'Rowdy' and Kyle Busch

Coyne to pay special tribute to Kyle Busch with Grosjean's No. 18 Indy 500 entry

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Coyne to pay special tribute to Kyle Busch with Grosjean's No. 18 Indy 500 entry

Max Verstappen: Red Bull didn’t follow my set-up feedback in Canada

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Max Verstappen: Red Bull didn’t follow my set-up feedback in Canada

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Here’s the starting grid for F1’s 2026 Canadian Grand Prix

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Here’s the starting grid for F1’s 2026 Canadian Grand Prix

Gillett and Molson in Canadian GP talks

Following reports that Normand Legault, promoter of the Canadian Grand Prix, would consider selling the franchise for the race, businessman George Gillett has confirmed he is interested in becoming an investor. Legault needs to find somewhere in the ...

Following reports that Normand Legault, promoter of the Canadian Grand Prix, would consider selling the franchise for the race, businessman George Gillett has confirmed he is interested in becoming an investor. Legault needs to find somewhere in the region of $10 to $20 million to compensate F1 teams that would have to race in Montreal without tobacco sponsor logos, and selling the race or taking on shareholders is one option.

Start/finish line, with the traditional 'Salut Gilles'.
Photo by Eric Gilbert.
Gillett, owner of the Montreal Canadiens hockey team, is part of a group of potential investors that also includes Molson Breweries, which Gillett bought the majority stake in the hockey team from in 2001. He admits there are talks but nothing has been decided.

"I can't tell you that significant progress has been made," Gillett said on Saturday, after Montreal's La Presse newspaper broke the story earlier in the day. "There's nothing to report. It's still in the process. It was good reporting that found the story, but when it gets reported early, because you've got the government involved, it often puts these discussions in jeopardy."

The fear is that Gillett and Molson's involvement may cause Bernie Ecclestone to up the asking price to keep Canada on the 2004 calendar. Molson president Dan O'Neill said the company was willing to contribute to the cause but a solution had yet to be found. Another problem may be that Labatt Breweries is currently a major sponsor of the GP.

Gillett said the group of potential investors wants the race at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve back as much as the fans: "There certainly is an interest on the part of a small group of folks to try and save Formula One for Montreal," he said.

"This is a great city. It is passionate about car racing. It's passionate about its sports. That group that is deeply interested loves Montreal as much as the fans do, so there has been an interest in trying to figure out a way to save it."

Previous article Renault interview with Bell
Next article Renault makes history in Russia

Top Comments

Latest news