Skip to main content

Recommended for you

The first-time winners of NASCAR's grueling Coke 600 and who might be next

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
The first-time winners of NASCAR's grueling Coke 600 and who might be next

Why the BMW M3 Touring was even faster than its sister M4 GT3

Endurance
Why the BMW M3 Touring was even faster than its sister M4 GT3

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Question of the week: Is more overtaking in F1 always better?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Question of the week: Is more overtaking in F1 always better?

MotoGP considering reducing riders to one bike from 2027

MotoGP
MotoGP considering reducing riders to one bike from 2027

Toyota “nervous” of Hyundai threat ahead of WRC gravel season run

WRC
Rally Japan
Toyota “nervous” of Hyundai threat ahead of WRC gravel season run

1,101 miles of racing at Charlotte? Ross Chastain and Connor Zilisch are attempting it

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
1,101 miles of racing at Charlotte? Ross Chastain and Connor Zilisch are attempting it

Why Ducati has no doubts about Marc Marquez’s future

Feature
MotoGP
Feature
Italian GP
Why Ducati has no doubts about Marc Marquez’s future
Breaking news

Gutierrez sure return to racing will not be a problem

Esteban Gutierrez says he has no doubts about his ability to perform on track despite not having raced in Formula 1 since 2014.

Esteban Gutierrez, Ferrari reserve driver
Esteban Gutierrez, Ferrari Test and Reserve Driver on the grid.
Esteban Gutiérrez, Haas F1 Team and Gene Haas, team owner
Esteban Gutiérrez, Team Haas and Gene Haas, owner of the team
Esteban Gutiérrez, Haas F1 Team

The Mexican returns to racing this year after having been signed by the Haas F1 team for its debut season alongside Frenchman Romain Grosjean.

Gutierrez was a reserve driver at Ferrari in 2015 after losing his Sauber race seat at the end of the previous season.

Although the 24-year-old drove an F1 car only twice last year, he is confident he will be able to re-adapt quickly.

"I'm not concerned because I have prepared myself in the best way that I could, with the tools I had," Gutierrez told reporters at the Haas factory on Tuesday.

"So I think when you optimise your preparation based on what you can get, I'm confident that I can go back to racing with no problem."

Gutierrez says he is not seeing his spell at Haas as not a stepping stone towards a drive with a bigger team, and insists he is convinced he can succeed with the American team.

"I'm very committed to Haas, to the project," he said. "I have a big trust and belief on the project. And I want to make the best out of this opportunity.

"As long as we can work together, it will be the same mentality.

"So let's see what comes up in the future. Obviously I want to get to a winning level. It really doesn't matter which team it is, but I want to be winning in the near future."

When asked if he believed he could shine with Haas, he said: "Yes, I do believe that."

Interview by Lee Spencer

Previous article Silverstone set for public two-day F1 test in July
Next article Magnussen linked to race seat as Renault chases Maldonado funds

Top Comments

Latest news