Skip to main content

Recommended for you

How will Max Verstappen re-adapt to F1 after Nurburgring 24h adventure?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How will Max Verstappen re-adapt to F1 after Nurburgring 24h adventure?

Manthey proposes radical DTM BoP reform: Rivals suspect tactical play

DTM
Manthey proposes radical DTM BoP reform: Rivals suspect tactical play

Toprak Razgatlioglu makes “really big step” in MotoGP but one key weakness remains

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Toprak Razgatlioglu makes “really big step” in MotoGP but one key weakness remains

Five things to look out for at the F1 Canada GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Five things to look out for at the F1 Canada GP

Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

Rookie Dennis Hauger and overcoming the uncomfortable feeling ahead of first Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rookie Dennis Hauger and overcoming the uncomfortable feeling ahead of first Indy 500

NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2027 unveiled

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2027 unveiled

Dale Earnhardt Jr. has a largely throwback All Star Race idea

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
Dale Earnhardt Jr. has a largely throwback All Star Race idea
Breaking news

Sauber not considering Gutierrez axe

Peter Sauber is happy with Nico Hulkenberg, and believes Esteban Gutierrez has a bad results due to 'breaking into Formula One' process

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber C32

May 6 (GMM) Peter Sauber has played down suggestions the Swiss team might be considering ousting underperforming rookie Esteban Gutierrez.

Having fielded Sergio Perez alongside Kamui Kobayashi last year, Sauber is running an all-new driver lineup in 2013.

Peter Sauber, the Hinwil based team's founder, said he is happy with Nico Hulkenberg.

Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber C32
Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber C32

Photo by: XPB Images

"He has brought exactly what we expected him to," he told the Swiss newspaper Blick.

"He is not only quick but also consistent, and provides the engineers with valuable information.

"It's up to us now to give him a car to take regularly into Q3 and compete for top positions," added Sauber.

In almost total contrast, Mexican Gutierrez is struggling so far in 2013.

The 21-year-old rookie has been not only off the pace but also getting caught up in incidents, triggering speculation Sauber might be looking at its options.

Blick named Japanese Kobayashi, Red Bull's Sebastien Buemi and Swiss GP2 driver Fabio Leimer as potential candidates.

Peter Sauber said: "Esteban has had a difficult start, which has resulted in some critical reactions in the media.

"Of course we are not happy with his results so far, and neither is he. But after four races that doesn't lead us to a discussion about the drivers.

"Esteban has the full support of the team, so that he can turn his talent into results. We have not supported him for several years for nothing."

Sauber said Gutierrez's early struggle in 2013 is evidence of the difficulties facing new drivers breaking into Formula One.

"The main problem is that they hardly drive a Formula One car before they have to race it," said the 69-year-old.

"That's why I like the idea that has been discussed for a while, with rookies getting an extra set of tyres on Friday morning, allowing them to do more laps.

"It won't solve the problem completely, but it will help," added Sauber.

Previous article Lotus 'surprised' no soft tyre for Spain
Next article Hamilton - I could handle Vettel, Alonso as teammate

Top Comments

Latest news