Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Formula 1
Monaco GP
On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

Stoddart hoping for a solution

Paul Stoddart caused quite some discussion at a team bosses meeting on Sunday morning in France, after he announced that his two Minardi drivers would compete in the British Grand Prix without driver aids. This could give him cause to protest the ...

Paul Stoddart caused quite some discussion at a team bosses meeting on Sunday morning in France, after he announced that his two Minardi drivers would compete in the British Grand Prix without driver aids. This could give him cause to protest the race result on the grounds that other teams were using driver aids illegally. After the meeting, it appears Stoddart has backed down somewhat -- providing an agreeable compromise is found.

"It dominated the second half of the discussion," said Stoddart of his no driver aids intent. "If we can find an agreement over the next few days we can do the amendment to the 2003 regulations and it can be in place by Silverstone."

However, other previous agreements not being fulfilled, such as a cheaper engine supply and providing the 'fighting fund' is what caused Stoddart's action in the first place, so for the moment he's waiting to see if any new agreements will actually be implemented.

"I am hopeful because all the issues were discussed in detail and I think we can put all of this behind us," he said. "But I will reserve overall judgement, as I thought in the past that we may have had an agreement only to discover that we haven't."

McLaren boss Ron Dennis thinks Stoddart is trying to "destabilize the sport" and that there was unanimous agreement from the teams in regard to traction control and electronic systems. But Stoddart withdrew his support of the rule changes since then, so with there no longer being unanimous support, he believes he is within his rights to challenge teams using driver aids if Minardi do not.

Previous article Wilson hoping for British hat-trick
Next article Championship depends on reliability

Top Comments

Latest news