Title challenge still on track - Alonso
Alonso insists he is still on the way to get 2013 year's title
Apr.11 (GMM) Fernando Alonso thinks his 2013 title challenge is still on track, despite a difficult start to the new season.
After a podium in Australia, the Spaniard's campaign hit the gravel in Malaysia recently when he made contact with eventual winner Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull on the first lap.
Instead of pitting, Alonso gambled on staying out but retired when the damaged wing broke underneath his car.
"In any case, the race simulations state that if I would have stopped to change the nose, I would have finished ninth or tenth, so we didn't lose anything," he said during a Twitter interview hosted by Ferrari.
Some think the early setback - he is already just sixth in the points standings - is a major dent in the 2012 runner-up's new championship campaign, but the 31-year-old insists: "It's looking good.
"My options, of course, are still intact."
Alonso said retirements are simply a part of every world championship campaign -- even an ultimately successful one.
"The stats show that there are between two and three retirements per season, therefore it would be logical for us to not finish on another Sunday," he said.
"The season is very long, we've only completed two Grands Prix!" added Alonso.
We want your opinion!
What would you like to see on Motorsport.com?
Take our 5 minute survey.- The Motorsport.com Team
Share Or Save This Story
The season is still very long - Rosberg
Jules Bianchi's father speaks of family's continued hopes
Sauber under no illusions about constructors' position
Fernando Alonso: No timeframe on confirming F1 future
Who belongs on F1's Mount Rushmore? Pick your four greatest drivers
The expectation on Aston Martin's shoulders as it prepares to debut its Hungarian GP updates
"Either very right or very wrong" – Charles Leclerc explains Ferrari's bold choice for Dutch GP sprint
The key to Charles Leclerc overtaking a “quite slow” Lando Norris
Why Charles Leclerc’s battle of the brakes has left him trailing Lewis Hamilton
Latest news
LIVE: F1 Dutch Grand Prix updates - Qualifying kicks off at Zandvoort
"Either very right or very wrong" – Charles Leclerc explains Ferrari's bold choice for Dutch GP sprint
IMSA cracks down on escalating driver aggression ahead of VIR
Why Williams problems are worse than previously known
Feature
Why Williams problems are worse than previously known
The hidden benefit of Max Verstappen’s new F1 deal that Red Bull wants to exploit
The themes to watch for the rest of F1 2026
Why the Dutch GP is ending despite F1 wanting Zandvoort to stay
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
You have 2 options:
- Become a subscriber.
- Disable your adblocker.

Top Comments