Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Motorsports world mourns the unexpected loss of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Motorsports world mourns the unexpected loss of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

Oscar Piastri "flattered" by Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Oscar Piastri "flattered" by Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Fernando Alonso admits Aston Martin driveability gains worth only "half a tenth"

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Fernando Alonso admits Aston Martin driveability gains worth only "half a tenth"

George Russell faces "punch in the gut" warning amid Kimi Antonelli pressure

Formula 1
Canadian GP
George Russell faces "punch in the gut" warning amid Kimi Antonelli pressure

Alexander Rossi cleared to race in Indy 500, says "pain is minimal"

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi cleared to race in Indy 500, says "pain is minimal"

Max Verstappen: “Very positive” F1 engine changes “definitely” help me stay

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Max Verstappen: “Very positive” F1 engine changes “definitely” help me stay

Lewis Hamilton "shed a tear" over Arsenal's long-awaited Premier League triumph

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lewis Hamilton "shed a tear" over Arsenal's long-awaited Premier League triumph
Scuderia Ferrari engine

The debate about the 2013 engine regulations has continued to roll in the Montreal paddock.

The World Motor Sport Council voted in favour of the controversial four-cylinder turbo rules at its latest meeting last week.

Scuderia Ferrari engine
Scuderia Ferrari engine

Photo by: xpb.cc

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, however, revealed that the regulations passed by the thinnest of majorities, with only 13 of the 26 members in favour of the rules.

12 voted against, with the final WMSC member Vijay Mallya absent as he discussed the Bahrain/India rescheduling in the hallways on the phone in his capacity as the Indian motor racing representative.

It emerged from last Friday's meeting that F1 stakeholders have until June 30 to argue for the possible delay of the 2013 rules.

This is because, while Renault is strongly in favour of the rules, F1's other engine suppliers Ferrari, Mercedes and Cosworth are not so keen.

Bernie Ecclestone, staunchly opposed to the 2013 rules, summoned the team bosses for a meeting in Montreal.

He told them the FIA broke its own rules by announcing the four-cylinder formula last year without taking the decision through the technical working group and the F1 Commission.

The FIA is reportedly arguing that, as the rules apply to 2013, the current Concorde Agreement process does not apply because that tripartite agreement expires at the end of 2012.

There must be a vote of the F1 Commission

Bernie Ecclestone

But Ecclestone insists the FIA should be abiding the current Concorde rules: "There must be a vote of the F1 Commission," he is quoted as saying in Canada.

If a F1 Commission vote on the 2013 engine rules is held, the majority is almost certain to support the continuation of the current V8 formula or at the very least a delay in the four-cylinder debut.

Ferrari is reportedly the most staunchly opposed to the four-cylinder plan, with Auto Motor und Sport claiming the Italian team is not ruling out legal action against the FIA for violating the Concorde processes.

"At some point some clarity will be good, but as for the political situation behind it, I don't think I really want to comment," said Ferrari's new technical boss Pat Fry in Montreal.

Previous article Canadian GP Practice 3 Times
Next article Canadian GP Qualifying Times

Top Comments

Latest news