Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Formula 1
Monaco GP
On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

Alonso reverts to older-spec Honda engine

Fernando Alonso has reverted to the ‘Spec 2’ Honda engine for the remainder of the Austrian Grand Prix weekend after an issue with his new power unit was detected on Friday night.

Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
 Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
 Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32, runs wide over a kerb
 Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32

The Spaniard’s car had been fitted with the new more-powerful ‘Spec 3’ internal combustion engine for the Red Bull Ring event, and his pace looked promising after the opening day of practice.

But overnight Honda detected a problem with the MGU-H, and a decision was taken that it could not risk running it.

With replacing individual components proving very complicated, changing the MGU-H has necessitated a change of the entire power unit. The replacement version will be a 'Spec 2'.

However, with the unit fitted having already been used at a previous event, there will be no grid penalties.

Spec 3 promise

Although the power improvements with the ‘Spec 3’ are still not enough for the Honda to match its rivals in out-and-out straightline speed terms, there has been a boost to performance.

And after Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne produced top-10 pace during Friday practice, Honda’s F1 engine chief Yusuke Hasegawa was encouraged about the situation.

“Of course car performance is not just coming from the PU, so the chassis is also updated and it also depends on circuit characteristics,” he said.

“But yeah, from the data point of view the engine also contributed to some of the laptime improvement so we are very happy about that.”

When asked if he felt that Honda was now on the right path in F1, he said: “I want to tell so, but still it is too early, but definitely are closing up some gap to the frontrunner but it is not huge enough to catch up the top runner level so still we need to try more.”

Previous article Sainz says comments blown out of proportion
Next article Austrian GP: Vettel tops FP3 as Hamilton hits trouble

Top Comments

Latest news