Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

On this day: Oliver Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Formula 1
Monaco GP
On this day: Oliver Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

Alpine agrees to early F1 contract exit for Piastri

The Alpine Formula 1 team has agreed to end its contract with Oscar Piastri, allowing the Australian to make an early start his relationship with McLaren.

Oscar Piastri, Reserve Driver, Alpine F1 Team

The two teams have been discussing Piastri's contractual situation since he was announced as a 2023 McLaren driver in the summer.

Given the animosity surrounding Piastri's move to the Woking outfit, Alpine initially appeared reluctant to do anything that might help him get a head-start with his new team, with discussions dragging on for several weeks

However, the first sign that there had been progress came when it emerged that Piastri recently spent two days at Paul Ricard at the wheel of last year's MCL35M, the car previously used to give some initial F1 mileage to Colton Herta, Alex Palou and Pato O'Ward.

McLaren has thus far given no details of the Paul Ricard test, other than simply confirming that it took place.

A final agreement with Alpine to formally release Piastri before the end of the calendar year has now been reached and he is set to make his first public appearance with McLaren in the current MCL36 at the young driver test on the Tuesday after the Abu Dhabi GP.

It's understood that he won't be taking part in FP1 on the Abu Dhabi race weekend, as that falls within this racing season.

In any case, McLaren has a previous commitment to run O'Ward in that session, having given Palou an outing in Austin.

Alex Palou, McLaren MCL36

Alex Palou, McLaren MCL36

Photo by: Carl Bingham / Motorsport Images

Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer confirmed to Motorsport.com that a deal had been reached, and that Piastri was free to take part in the Abu Dhabi test.

"There was a negotiation on an agreement as to how to part ways," said Szafnauer.

"We're drawing a line under it. Once this season ends, he's free to go and do whatever he wants to do."

Asked about the Paul Ricard test he said: "All that was part of it."

Szafnauer and McLaren boss Andreas Seidl are expected to comment further on the Piastri situation in Saturday's FIA press conference in Brazil.

As previously reported Piastri won't be the only driver sampling his new team at the combined Abu Dhabi rookie and tyre test, with Fernando Alonso set to drive for Aston Martin, Pierre Gasly at Alpine, and Nyck de Vries at AlphaTauri.

Previous article Haas's shock Brazilian GP pole reminds us the joy F1 underdogs provide
Next article Russell's helmet broke F1 headrest after gravel trap battering

Top Comments

Latest news