Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Stefano Domenicali "cannot see" F1 without Max Verstappen

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Stefano Domenicali "cannot see" F1 without Max Verstappen

LIVE: F1 Dutch Grand Prix updates - Lando Norris lines up on pole at damp Zandvoort

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch Grand Prix updates - Lando Norris lines up on pole at damp Zandvoort

Lando Norris: I hope Mercedes gets a double disqualification in Las Vegas and forgets to pit in Qatar

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Lando Norris: I hope Mercedes gets a double disqualification in Las Vegas and forgets to pit in Qatar

Why McLaren thinks Ferrari is quickest in Zandvoort, but may well be stuck

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why McLaren thinks Ferrari is quickest in Zandvoort, but may well be stuck

“It’s just nuts” – Lewis Hamilton baffled by Ferrari’s tyre-warming struggle

Formula 1
Dutch GP
“It’s just nuts” – Lewis Hamilton baffled by Ferrari’s tyre-warming struggle

Why the F1 Dutch GP weekend has been a "wake-up call" for Kimi Antonelli

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why the F1 Dutch GP weekend has been a "wake-up call" for Kimi Antonelli

Yuki Tsunoda: Racing Bulls is “pretty impressed” with my performance so far

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Yuki Tsunoda: Racing Bulls is “pretty impressed” with my performance so far

Why Lando Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Dutch GP
Why Lando Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position
Commentary

Bahrain protesters won't 'hurt people' - Ecclestone

Ecclestone suggested the protesters are taking advantage of the global coverage attracted by F1, and played down the threat they really pose.

Bernie Ecclestone, CEO Formula One Group

Apr.16 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has toned down his rhetoric ahead of the weekend's highly controversial Bahrain Grand Prix.

Earlier, amid reports of explosions near the Formula One circuit linked directly to anti-government protests against the race, the F1 chief executive simply issued a blank denial.

"What's happened? They're demonstrating now? I didn't know that," he told AP news agency.

"There's nobody demonstrating."

Bernie Ecclestone, CEO Formula One Group
Bernie Ecclestone, CEO Formula One Group

Photo by: XPB Images

However, even the government confirmed Sunday's attack by a "terrorist group", while the group itself admitted it blew up the car "in opposition to holding the Formula One race".

And bringing the situation into stark focus are the events in the US, where terrorists have exploded bombs near the finish-line of the iconic Boston Marathon, with devastating effects.

Referring to Bahrain, Ecclestone told British newspapers: "We don't want to see trouble. We don't want to see people arguing and fighting about things we don't understand, because we really don't understand.

"We don't want to see people repressed as a result of the race.

"Some people feel it's our fault there are problems. We are extremely sympathetic to them."

The 82-year-old Briton, however, suggested the protesters are taking advantage of the global coverage attracted by F1, and played down the threat they really pose.

"I don't think the people who are arguing about their position are bad people, and I don't think they're trying to hurt people to make their point," he said.

A government spokeswoman told Bahrain news agency BNA that "appropriate security measures" are in place for the Grand Prix.

"The security situation in Bahrain is very reassuring," she added.

Meanwhile, the internet 'hacktivist' group Anonymous has threatened to disrupt the sport if it does not cancel the Bahrain Grand Prix.

"Bernie Ecclestone and the royal family of Bahrain have learned nothing," the group said in a statement.

"We will remove you from the worldwide web. We call upon Bernie Ecclestone while there is still time -- cancel your blood race now."

Previous article Williams will survive if Wolff pulls out
Next article Sauber pushes 'arrogant' Frijns to accept GP2 seat

Top Comments

Latest news