Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

Rossi, O'Ward, and Grosjean cars destroyed in huge Indy 500 practice crash

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rossi, O'Ward, and Grosjean cars destroyed in huge Indy 500 practice crash

Josef Newgarden leads abbreviated Indy 500 practice marred by storms, major wreck

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Josef Newgarden leads abbreviated Indy 500 practice marred by storms, major wreck

Winners and losers from a strange NASCAR All-Star Race at Dover

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
Winners and losers from a strange NASCAR All-Star Race at Dover
Fernando Alonso, Scuderia Ferrari

May 4 (GMM) Ferrari might be gearing up to incorporate a 'double-DRS' setup aboard its improving F2012 car.

Fernando Alonso, Scuderia Ferrari
Fernando Alonso, Scuderia Ferrari

Photo by: xpb.cc

If true, the famous Italian team would be the first team to successfully emulate the controversial Mercedes system, which has been declared fully legal by the governing FIA.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport said a new rear wing was among the very last upgrades to be trialled by Fernando Alonso as the Mugello test concluded late on Thursday.

"The wing has only minor changes. You have to look closely," read the report.

The magazine reported rumours that the wing might eventually accommodate the so-called 'double-DRS' or 2012-style F-duct, which would work in conjunction with a new and so far unseen front wing.

"That (wing) will debut along with a new diffuser and nose in Barcelona," added Auto Motor und Sport.

There were happy faces in the Ferrari garage on Thursday, as - despite a minor off by Alonso - the upgrades appeared to work well.

"Barcelona will be a key moment in the season, but not a decisive one," the Spanish driver insisted.

"It's not a case that we will suddenly find ourselves back on pole position, because there is no magic button."

Echoing the earlier words of Mark Webber, Alonso said the "fastest car" at Mugello this week was the Lotus.

Red Bull's Dr Helmut Marko agrees: "It looks like Lotus are the quickest."

Veteran Swiss correspondent Roger Benoit wrote in Blick newspaper: "Lotus, with Kimi Raikkonen in super shape, is the championship dark horse."

Previous article Mixed feelings for F1 after Mugello test
Next article Jean Todt visits HRT Formula 1 Team’s new facilities

Top Comments

Latest news