Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Rookie Dennis Hauger and overcoming the uncomfortable feeling ahead of first Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rookie Dennis Hauger and overcoming the uncomfortable feeling ahead of first Indy 500

NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2027 unveiled

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2027 unveiled

Dale Earnhardt Jr. has a largely throwback All Star Race idea

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
Dale Earnhardt Jr. has a largely throwback All Star Race idea

Kevin Harvick on Natalie Decker: "I don't like to see a mockery made out of what our sport is"

NASCAR Truck
Charlotte
Kevin Harvick on Natalie Decker: "I don't like to see a mockery made out of what our sport is"

The milk of choice for every 2026 Indy 500 driver

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
The milk of choice for every 2026 Indy 500 driver

Enter the simulation - How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Enter the simulation - How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

NASCAR on Prime trackside coverage to feature several Cup Series legends

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR on Prime trackside coverage to feature several Cup Series legends

WNBA star Caitlin Clark to serve as Grand Marshal for the Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
WNBA star Caitlin Clark to serve as Grand Marshal for the Indy 500

Ferrari split 'just a rumour' - Alonso

Fernando Alonso is still the leading man of the intriguing 2014 'silly season'.

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari F14-T
(L to R): Kevin Magnussen, McLaren and Fernando Alonso, Ferrari in parc ferme
Fernando Alonso, Ferrari; Marco Mattiacci, Ferrari Team Principal; Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari and members of the Ferrari and Marussia F1 Team show their support for Jules Bianchi
Fernando Alonso, Ferrari F14-T
Fernando Alonso, Ferrari F14-T leads team mate Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari F14-T
Fernando Alonso, Ferrari
Fernando Alonso, Ferrari F14-T
Fernando Alonso, Ferrari carries a message of support for Jules Bianchi
Fernando Alonso, Ferrari F14-T
Fernando Alonso, Ferrari takes a selfie at the Fanzone

Apparently on the way out at Ferrari, the Spaniard is said to have been caught off guard by Red Bull, who shut the door on Alonso in the wake of Sebastian Vettel's shock exit.

Alonso, 33, is now linked with McLaren-Honda, Lotus and Williams for 2015, while also presumably coveting a seat at dominant Mercedes.

But he threw reporters off track after Sunday's Russian Grand Prix by declaring he will not be powered by a Mercedes engine next season.

I want to help this fantastic team.

Fernando Alonso

Many took that as the strongest sign yet that Alonso, arguably the best driver in F1 but also perhaps the most temperamental, is headed to McLaren.

But Spain's Marca claims Ron Dennis - far from Alonso's best friend in the F1 paddock - is using the situation to his advantage, driving down the price of his retainer and demanding a multi-year commitment.

Staying together?

Others think Alonso will take a sabbatical next year, but Alonso said at Sochi that is not a "big risk".

Another Spanish daily, AS, claimed on Sunday it has heard from sources close to the negotiations that Alonso and Ferrari have not ruled out staying together in 2014.

That is despite Mercedes' Niki Lauda declaring confidently at Suzuka recently that Ferrari and Alonso dissolved their contract in the days before the Japanese Grand Prix.

But Alonso said in Russia on Sunday: "Neither Ferrari nor I have said that we have ended my contract. So far that is just a rumour.

"I am doing the best for my future and for the future of Ferrari. Ferrari is the team that I love. I want to help this fantastic team."

From Luca to Sergio

Respected Italian media insiders, however, insist that Alonso and Ferrari are definitely splitting, especially after eyewitnesses reported an argument between the Spaniard and Marco Mattiacci at Suzuka that involved expletives and door-slamming.

Finland's Turun Sanomat cited Italian sources in claiming that the split, and the subsequent arrival of Vettel, may begin to take shape officially on Monday.

Monday, October 13 is officially Sergio Marchionne's first day on the job as Ferrari president, following Luca di Montezemolo's departure.

Previous article No team orders as Red Bull concedes title for Ricciardo
Next article Wolff admits champion Mercedes seen as 'bad guy'

Top Comments

Latest news