Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Cause of death released for NASCAR great Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Cause of death released for NASCAR great Kyle Busch

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - George Russell leads Lando Norris in Montreal sprint

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - George Russell leads Lando Norris in Montreal sprint

How Shell is helping teams in F1, NASCAR and IndyCar all fight for the win this weekend

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
How Shell is helping teams in F1, NASCAR and IndyCar all fight for the win this weekend

McLaren explains why it shelved new F1 front wing in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren explains why it shelved new F1 front wing in Montreal

Red Bull would "support" steps on F1 team alliances amid McLaren concerns

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull would "support" steps on F1 team alliances amid McLaren concerns

Silent NASCAR garage looks on as Richard Childress Racing unloads Coke 600 cars

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Silent NASCAR garage looks on as Richard Childress Racing unloads Coke 600 cars

DTM Zandvoort Race 1: Matteo Cairoli takes maiden win as Lucas Auer takes championship lead

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort Race 1: Matteo Cairoli takes maiden win as Lucas Auer takes championship lead

Rain forces NASCAR to postpone Charlotte Truck race for the second time this weekend

NASCAR Truck
Charlotte
Rain forces NASCAR to postpone Charlotte Truck race for the second time this weekend
Breaking news

FIA to tackle cost problem after team failures

With Caterham and Marussia in the throes of failure, the governing FIA has admitted it is concerned about the financial situation in F1.

Adrian Sutil, Sauber C33
Marcus Ericsson, Caterham CT05
Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber C33
Monisha Kaltenborn, Sauber Team Principal
Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber C33
Kamui Kobayashi, Caterham CT05
Max Chilton, Marussia F1 Team MR03
Max Chilton, Marussia F1 Team MR03

"Not capable" 

It is believed the next most endangered team on the grid is the Swiss privateer Sauber, whose boss and co-owner Monisha Kaltenborn sounded furious as she spoke to media on Thursday.

"I think the worst part is that we're damaging the sport with this so much that I think the owners of the product of the sport should think what they're doing here," she said.

Kaltenborn insisted that with "billions" flowing into F1's commercial coffers, it is unacceptable that the sport is "not capable" of keeping 11 teams alive.

"Now you try to explain that to somebody," she exclaimed.

Spain's Marca newspaper claims one struggling team, perhaps Hinwil based Sauber, has leaked the precise cost of minimally keeping a two-car operation afloat throughout a season at present - EUR 94.4 million.

Budget cap

Earlier this year, FIA president Jean Todt tried to introduce a budget cap in Formula One but ran into the opposition of the powerful, big team-dominated strategy group.

But in light of Marussia and Caterham's collapses, the FIA said in a statement that "these failings once again acutely raise the question of the economic balance of (F1) and justify the position, expressed many times by the FIA, in favour of any initiative that will help reduce costs in order to ensure the survival of the existing grid or attract potential new entrants".

The FIA demonstrated its sympathy for this weekend's absent backmarkers when stewards on Thursday decided against penalising Caterham and Marussia, despite the clear rule requiring every team to "participate in every event".

"In view of the current financial circumstances," the stewards' statement read, "the stewards decide not to impose any penalty".

And because "of the particular nature of the breach, the matter is referred to the attention of the FIA president", the stewards added.

Previous article Forza Rossa still waiting for FIA approval
Next article Alonso wants to win again

Top Comments

Latest news