Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Fernando Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Fernando Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Motorsport world mourns the unexpected loss of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Motorsport world mourns the unexpected loss of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

Oscar Piastri "flattered" by Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Oscar Piastri "flattered" by Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Fernando Alonso admits Aston Martin driveability gains worth only "half a tenth"

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Fernando Alonso admits Aston Martin driveability gains worth only "half a tenth"

George Russell faces "punch in the gut" warning amid Kimi Antonelli pressure

Formula 1
Canadian GP
George Russell faces "punch in the gut" warning amid Kimi Antonelli pressure

Alexander Rossi cleared to race in Indy 500, says "pain is minimal"

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi cleared to race in Indy 500, says "pain is minimal"

Max Verstappen: “Very positive” F1 engine changes “definitely” help me stay

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Max Verstappen: “Very positive” F1 engine changes “definitely” help me stay

FIA wheel tethers come under the spotlight

By Erica Southey - Motorsport.com The 10th of September 2000 marked a sombre day at Monza when a 30 yr old marshal, Paolo Ginslinberti, died due to injuries sustained after a 6 car pile up. Heinz-Herald Frentzen in his Jordan Mugen Honda sparked ...

By Erica Southey - Motorsport.com

The 10th of September 2000 marked a sombre day at Monza when a 30 yr old marshal, Paolo Ginslinberti, died due to injuries sustained after a 6 car pile up. Heinz-Herald Frentzen in his Jordan Mugen Honda sparked off the incident when he clipped the back of his teammate, Jarno Trulli's car. A flying wheel off De la Rosa's car struck Ginslinberti who later died in hospital after being treated for his injuries and given CPR (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation).

In the wake of the latest fatality of the 52 year old marshal, Graham Beveridge, the FIA wheel tethers are said to be too weak to handle impact.

Following the death of Ginslinberti last year, the FIA mandated that double tethering be used to avoid wheels flying off on high impact. A lightweight composite material, namely Kevlar was introduced. Though it proved to hold out very well in low speed impacts, it showed up unsuccessful in high impact incidents as happened this Sunday.

Kevlar was specifically used for its lightweight and high pulling strength, but lacks durability of strength. What happens is that while the Kevlar holds the wheels, failure happens when the wishbones break and cut the tethers, resulting in wheels flying off at impact.

With the latest death, it is thought that steel would be a better option due to its endurance capacity and adequate pulling strength, as opposed to the current lightweight high pulling cables.

See the following related articles:

Second class in the Sport of Kings

It's so hard to get good help these days

Techers debut in CART, IRL

- The Motorsport.com Team

Previous article Ferrari reliablity rewarded
Next article Pedro de la Rosa makes Jaguar Racing debut (fwd)

Top Comments

Latest news