Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How Bruce McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
How Bruce McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Isack Hadjar wants to follow Max Verstappen to Nurburgring — but says he can’t yet

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Isack Hadjar wants to follow Max Verstappen to Nurburgring — but says he can’t yet

Fernando Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Fernando Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Motorsport world mourns the unexpected loss of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Motorsport world mourns the unexpected loss of NASCAR legend Kyle Busch

Oscar Piastri "flattered" by Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Oscar Piastri "flattered" by Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Fernando Alonso admits Aston Martin driveability gains worth only "half a tenth"

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Fernando Alonso admits Aston Martin driveability gains worth only "half a tenth"

Korea trick tweaks engine rules for 2015

The story of Korea's surprise return to the F1 calendar for 2015 has taken another bizarre twist.

Korean flag
F1, FIA and Korea flags
Fernando Alonso, Ferrari F138
Grid girl
Fans in a grandstand
Bernie Ecclestone
Korean flag
Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull Racing RB9 leads off on the formation lap
The 2014 Renault Energy F1 V6 engine
Grid girls
Pre Race Display

Insiders were stunned on Wednesday when the FIA published a 2015 schedule featuring an unprecedented 21 races including the return of remote and unpopular Korea.

The calendar's author, Bernie Ecclestone, had declared only months ago "I don't want to go back there".

And organisers of the Yeongam event, having dropped off the calendar after 2013, declared that the FIA's move to reinstate a 2015 race had been "unilateral".

An unnamed race official told AFP the organisers were basically "broke", had lost the support even of the locals and had held "unsuccessful" talks with Ecclestone about reducing the annual hosting fee.

The French news agency said it is possible the provisional May 3 race in Korea next year might actually take place on the streets of Seoul.

+1 engine

But a couple of F1 insiders have another theory.

They think it is Ecclestone's way of sneaking an extra engine into the allocation of every F1 driver next year.

The F1 supremo is no fan of the new V6 'power unit' era, but the regulations are due to clamp down even more on the long-life restrictions in 2015.

Scheduling Korea, even if the race does not happen, should be enough to ensure the allocation of power units stays at five.

Alan Baldwin

This year, drivers were allocated a maximum of five 'power units' for the entire season, resulting in penalties once unscheduled sixth engines were used.

But for 2015, the allocation was due to reduce from five to just four V6s per driver.

"That presupposes there are no more than 20 races," Andrew Benson, a BBC writer, said.

He has spotted the clause giving drivers a fifth engine in 2015 "if the number of events in the championship, as originally scheduled, exceeds 20".

Alan Baldwin, the correspondent for the Reuters news agency, agrees: "The key words are 'as originally scheduled'.

"Scheduling Korea, even if the race does not happen, should be enough to ensure the allocation of power units stays at five," he explained.

"With rule changes requiring unanimous agreement from the teams at this late stage, it is simpler to tweak the calendar instead."

Baldwin also quoted a team source as confirming that Korea is almost certainly "an elegant way of avoiding bargaining" over a tweak to the engine rules.

Previous article Domenicali studying F1 entry for VW - report
Next article Red Bull Racing factory broken into

Top Comments

Latest news