Mercedes' double-DRS 'not massive' gain - Button
Apr.20 (GMM) Jenson Button doubts other teams will be pushing too hard to rush a Mercedes-style 'double-DRS' to their 2012 package.
The F-duct-style concept is, so far, the highest profile innovation of the season.
So with the FIA declaring it fully legal, and Nico Rosberg breaking through with his maiden pole and win in Shanghai last weekend, it seems a no-brainer that the other teams will now be following suit.
But McLaren's Button doesn't think so.
"I really don't think it's giving them that much -- I think they're just quick," he is quoted by the BBC.
"From all our simulations, we don't think it's a massive margin at all. It's a great invention on their part, but our DRS system is very good so I don't think it's giving them much over us.
"Obviously nothing in the race and in qualifying it's minimal," said Button.
His teammate Lewis Hamilton thinks the fastest cars so far are the Mercedes, the McLaren and the Red Bull.
"The Mercedes I think is now the quickest -- particularly over one lap," said the 2008 world champion.
"Not sure they are quickest in race pace. I think the Red Bull is probably the quickest in race pace. We have shown we have good qualifying pace and race pace.
"We are there or thereabouts and we have as good an opportunity as anyone."
We want your opinion!
What would you like to see on Motorsport.com?
Take our 5 minute survey.- The Motorsport.com Team
Share Or Save This Story
The season is still very long - Rosberg
Jules Bianchi's father speaks of family's continued hopes
Sauber under no illusions about constructors' position
Lewis Hamilton rebounds to fifth after Ferrari fixes Friday struggles
F1 Dutch GP: Friday schedule, weather forecast and how to watch
Why Charles Leclerc’s battle of the brakes has left him trailing Lewis Hamilton
Why Lando Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position
Toto Wolff jokes about Max Verstappen's Red Bull deal: Mercedes has him for the "real hero races"
George Russell "more relaxed" as F1 2026 title is Kimi Antonelli's to lose
Latest news
Why Lando Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position
Toto Wolff jokes about Max Verstappen's Red Bull deal: Mercedes has him for the "real hero races"
Supercars Ipswich: Broc Feeney secures unlikely Sprint Cup title after second weekend win
Kyle Busch Remembered: Breaking records and bumping the pace car at New Hampshire
Feature
Why Lando Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying
Why Williams problems are worse than previously known
The hidden benefit of Max Verstappen’s new F1 deal that Red Bull wants to exploit
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
You have 2 options:
- Become a subscriber.
- Disable your adblocker.

Top Comments