Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Formula 1
Monaco GP
On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

Apr.22 (GMM) Force India is remaining publicly silent after its cars were excluded from television coverage of qualifying in Bahrain.

The Sahara Force India F1 of Nico Hulkenberg, and Paul di Resta, at the pit lane entrance
The Sahara Force India F1 of Nico Hulkenberg, and Paul di Resta, at the pit lane entrance

Photo by: xpb.cc

Paul di Resta raced into the decisive Q3 segment but, justifying the apparent black-out, Bernie Ecclestone said "nobody cares" about the cars that are not in the running for pole.

Rumours are intensifying that Force India was maliciously excluded from the sport's 'world feed' - controlled by Ecclestone's Formula One Management - because the Silverstone based team sat out a practice session over staff's safety fears.

The F1 chief executive told reporters: "I suspect it (the blackout) was more to do with the Bahrain laws on no alcohol advertising.

"They have a whisky company prominently on the car. They should have taken it off. The TV could not show that," said Ecclestone.

Force India's deputy team boss Bob Fernley, in charge this weekend in Vijay Mallya's absence, would not comment.

Indeed, McLaren and Sauber are not running their usual alcohol sponsors this weekend, but Red Bull was shown on television throughout the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend so far with its Singha beer brand signage.

And Force India's whisky sponsor Whyte and Mackay was seen on the world feed in Bahrain in Friday morning practice, before the team decided to sit out the second session.

Meanwhile, authoritative media sources have been briefed to the effect that Force India's current livery was approved well in advance of this weekend's race.

A team insider told the Guardian: "Everyone knows what happened. Bernie is giving Force India a slap on the wrist for missing Friday's second practice session."

Previous article Ecclestone denies qualifying blackout for Force India
Next article Ecclestone invites McLaren onto F1 board - report

Top Comments

Latest news