Skip to main content

Recommended for you

NASCAR CEO Steve O’Donnell explains why he doesn’t necessarily mind driver fights

NASCAR Cup
NASCAR CEO Steve O’Donnell explains why he doesn’t necessarily mind driver fights

It might be time to get Bubba Wallace his own food and travel show

NASCAR Cup
Richmond
It might be time to get Bubba Wallace his own food and travel show

F1 fans praise Gabriel Bortoleto's brutally honest "Passenger Princess" appearance

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 fans praise Gabriel Bortoleto's brutally honest "Passenger Princess" appearance

Christian Horner announces UK book tour for new memoir following Red Bull F1 exit

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Christian Horner announces UK book tour for new memoir following Red Bull F1 exit

F1 launches new "Five Lights" campaign narrated by Colin Farrell

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 launches new "Five Lights" campaign narrated by Colin Farrell

Former F1 team boss reveals bizarre way he warned staff about "Drive to Survive" microphones

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Former F1 team boss reveals bizarre way he warned staff about "Drive to Survive" microphones

Vote: NASCAR Cup driver ratings for Richmond

NASCAR Cup
Richmond
Vote: NASCAR Cup driver ratings for Richmond

Trackhouse boss Justin Marks reacts to 'bittersweet' exit of Connor Zilisch

NASCAR Cup
Richmond
Trackhouse boss Justin Marks reacts to 'bittersweet' exit of Connor Zilisch
Breaking news

Haas explains why it lodged Force India protest

Haas Formula 1 team principal Gunther Steiner says that the US-owned outfit has protested Force India in Abu Dhabi in a quest for "equality".

Esteban Ocon, Racing Point Force India VJM11, leads Romain Grosjean, Haas F1 Team VF-18

Since Sahara Force India morphed into Racing Point Force India at the Belgian GP Haas made it clear that it objects to the new team gaining the prize money that was earned by the original team.

Other teams agreed to the move, but Haas maintains that it only did so on the basis that the same entity successfully emerged from administration.

Haas has been in discussion with F1 boss Chase Carey on the matter since then, pointing out that as a new team it had to "pay its dues" before it could earn full prize money in its third season.

Steiner says this weekend's protest resulted from the lack of a clear answer on the matter.

The protest claims that Racing Point Force India is competing with a car that was designed and constructed by Sahara Force India.

After two hearings, the FIA stewards have said that they will announce their decision on Saturday.

"What we are seeking is equality for all the teams," said Steiner.

"We came into F1 under certain circumstances, we were aware of what we have to do, we did it all, and we feel that this was not done this time with Force India. So we are just seeking equality or at least an explanation of why it isn't.

"I think everybody needs to be treated the same. We don't want more or anything. When we came into the sport we did our apprenticeship, we would just like that everybody is treated equally.

Questioned on the timing of the protest, he stressed that he had tried to get answers.

"We didn't only wait up until now, we tried to mediate and get an understanding.

"We got nothing and at some point you need to do something, if you get no answers, that's not good enough, or at least an explanation how it works. Just no answer at all. I tried to mediate it now for six weeks and never had an answer, so we decided to protest.

He added: "We tried to mediate and find an amicable solution as you try to do, but we didn't get either a good or bad answer – we didn't get any answer. At some point you need to do what you need to do.

"There is no big reason why now. It's just we got it all together, it's a lot of work that you get your facts checked, and you decide to do it, and it's the last opportunity, so we did it."

Asked if the issue had become a crusade for team boss Gene Haas, he said: "I would take that word crusade back, I think that's a little bit harsh.

"It isn't fair. It's not a crusade. He, or Haas F1, obeyed the rules and did what needed to be done so he's just trying to find out or make it equal for everybody. It isn't a crusade.

"He doesn't want more. He's just saying, 'Hey, we did this, I knew we had to do this, I was happy to do it and it's the same for everybody.'"

He also answered sceptics who have pointed out that Haas uses components designed and built by other entities.

"Our stance would be we have proved we are not doing anything because we invited the FIA to come and audit us. They did and we are still open. If somebody wants to audit us, just do it. We are still open.

"There is nothing. It never happened because everybody just tried to scare us. But you cannot scare somebody who doesn't need to be afraid. So we said, 'Yeah, just be our guest.'"

Guenther Steiner, Team Principal, Haas F1, is interviewed

Guenther Steiner, Team Principal, Haas F1, is interviewed

Photo by: Andy Hone / LAT Images

Previous article Hamilton ran #1 despite "not liking it at all"
Next article Troublesome Abu Dhabi kerb being repaired

Top Comments

Latest news