Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Why Ducati has no doubts about Marc Marquez’s future

Feature
MotoGP
Feature
Italian GP
Why Ducati has no doubts about Marc Marquez’s future

Maro Engel clears air on 2025 Max Verstappen spat after “great duel” in Nurburgring 24 hours

Endurance
Maro Engel clears air on 2025 Max Verstappen spat after “great duel” in Nurburgring 24 hours

How will Max Verstappen re-adapt to F1 after Nurburgring 24h adventure?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How will Max Verstappen re-adapt to F1 after Nurburgring 24h adventure?

Manthey proposes radical DTM BoP reform: Rivals suspect tactical play

DTM
Manthey proposes radical DTM BoP reform: Rivals suspect tactical play

Toprak Razgatlioglu makes “really big step” in MotoGP but one key weakness remains

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Toprak Razgatlioglu makes “really big step” in MotoGP but one key weakness remains

Five things to look out for at the F1 Canada GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Five things to look out for at the F1 Canada GP

Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

Rookie Dennis Hauger and overcoming the uncomfortable feeling ahead of first Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rookie Dennis Hauger and overcoming the uncomfortable feeling ahead of first Indy 500
Breaking news

F1's new three-engine limit not "reasonable" - Honda

Honda’s outgoing Formula 1 project leader Yusuke Hasegawa believes the move to a three-engine limit in 2018 is “unreasonable”.

Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
Yusuke Hasegawa, Senior Managing Officer, Honda
Fernando Alonso, McLaren stops on track in FP1
Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32
Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32 stops on track in FP1

Red Bull chief Christian Horner has said it is “barking mad” to be cutting back on power unit usage with manufacturers having struggled to get through this year with four engines.

But with not all teams in agreement that the rules need changing - and Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne giving short shrift to the idea in the last Strategy Group meeting - there is now no hope of a change.

FIA president Jean Todt said he was as unhappy as other people about the extent that some teams had been hit with grid penalties this year, but added that there was nothing that could be done without all teams agreeing to a change.

“It’s very tough,” said Hasegawa, who was speaking before the news he would no longer be working on the F1 project from January 1, 2018.

“It’s not just for us. Renault had difficulties. I don’t think it’s reasonable. From a technical point of view, it’s difficult.

“If we save the engine performance, it’s easy to achieve. If we use 2000rpm lower, of course we can finish, but there’s no point.”

When asked if the regulation protects Mercedes and Ferrari, Hasegawa said: “As a consequence, yes. We have discussed many times.

“With three engines, it means we only have two chances to introduce a new [upgraded] engine.

“We need to introduce a good engine at the start, but if we don’t, we only have two chances to introduce a new engine.

“Reducing cost is important, so I support cost reduction.”

With engines required to last seven races next year, manufacturers face a difficult balance between pushing for performance and ensuring reliability.

“At this moment, we need to concentrate on reliability, to get an engine to do seven races,” said Hasegawa. “But we need to improve performance too.

“It’s good we have a baseline. We need to confirm the current engine is OK. As soon as we confirm that, we’ll do the next step.”

Previous article Mercedes will prioritise Hamilton in 2018, says Massa
Next article Wehrlein "hype" good for me, says Ericsson

Top Comments

Latest news