Sauber appoints Mark Smith as technical director
The Sauber Formula 1 team has signed former Red Bull and Caterham tech chief Mark Smith as its new technical director.
Smith has not worked in F1 since the Caterham team folded at the end of last year, but has recently spent some time with a sportscar project in Germany while he considered his options.
He will begin work with Sauber on July 13.
Speaking about the new opportunity, Smith said: "When I saw the facilities for the first time in Hinwil, I immediately realised the possibilities I would have.
"The wind tunnel, the supercomputer and the machine shop – everything is on a very high technical level. And not to forget the competence of the team. These facts were compelling reasons and arguments for me changing to Hinwil.
"The potential of Sauber is enormous, which is not self-evident in a constantly changing Formula 1 world. The factory in Hinwil has all the requirements to be competitive in Formula 1."
Sauber team boss Monisha Kaltenborn said that Smith was the ideal candidate for her outfit as it bids to move forward.
"After talks with the technical committee, we have searched for a Technical Director for the Sauber F1 Team – and found Mark," she explained.
"Mark Smith is an engineer with a lot of experience in Formula 1. Above all, he knows the environment in which privateer teams must work and the challenges that are there - and how important it is to keep calm and keep things in perspective.
"With us he finds technical possibilities on a very high level. We wish Mark a good start for which he has our full support."
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Motorsport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments