Skip to main content

Recommended for you

IndyCar penalizes Collet and Harvey after Indy 500 inspection failures

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
IndyCar penalizes Collet and Harvey after Indy 500 inspection failures

Alexander Rossi admits “It’s not often that you are happy with second place” after Indy 500 qualifying

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi admits “It’s not often that you are happy with second place” after Indy 500 qualifying

It was a good Dover race, but not the NASCAR All-Star Race

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
It was a good Dover race, but not the NASCAR All-Star Race

Exotic dancers target Canadian Grand Prix weekend with Montreal strike

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Exotic dancers target Canadian Grand Prix weekend with Montreal strike

F1 fans split over Carlos Sainz's first laps at Madrid's new circuit

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 fans split over Carlos Sainz's first laps at Madrid's new circuit

Alex Palou delivers crushing final run to claim Indy 500 pole, Rossi second

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alex Palou delivers crushing final run to claim Indy 500 pole, Rossi second

Denny Hamlin adds to legacy with million dollar win but mad it doesn't count

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
Denny Hamlin adds to legacy with million dollar win but mad it doesn't count

Naomi Schiff reveals how GT drivers felt about Max Verstappen's Nurburgring debut

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Naomi Schiff reveals how GT drivers felt about Max Verstappen's Nurburgring debut
Breaking news

Sirotkin "still can't believe" he's leaving F1

Sergey Sirotkin says he still cannot believe he will not be a Formula 1 driver next season despite having had a few days to prepare himself following the decision to split with Williams.

Sergey Sirotkin, Williams Racing

Sirotkin made his F1 debut with Williams this year but will not continue with the British team, which has signed Robert Kubica to partner Formula 2 title favourite George Russell for 2019. 

His backer SMP Racing says it decided to split with Williams because of its poor performance and development rate.

Sirotkin said he learned of that call last week but held out hope something would change, until Williams informed him on Wednesday night it would announce Kubica the next day.

“I was informed from the team yesterday night that its happening, but already last week I had a few talks, a few meetings with SMP Racing,” said Sirotkin.

“We analysed how things are moving, and I think it’s been quite obvious after those meetings that we don't really want to take part in it anymore.

“So, already from the last week I kind of knew it’s going to happen, I had the week to prepare myself. 

“I could not prepare myself. I still can't believe it is happening. It is a tough moment for me.”

Sirotkin has scored a solitary point in his rookie season and Williams is set to end the year last of the 10 teams in the constructors’ championship. 

The Russian said it “wasn’t worth it” to continue discussions but said this was not specifically because of a lack of faith in the team’s competitiveness next season.

“It is never one thing,” he said. “It is always many, many things on top of each other, which made us think that way. 

“As a racing driver, I didn't care about it all. All what I cared about is to be on the grid and, whatever the car is, just do the best job I can. 

“I still had a strong trust inside that probably things will turn around, probably something will change, and it [losing the drive] won't happen. 

“But nothing changed and it happened.”

Sirotkin cut a dejected figure in the paddock on Thursday and admitted he felt “very, very sad” to be exiting F1 after one year with a poor car. 

“I honestly think that we did a good job,” he said. 

“The way we started, how we reacted to that, and how we've been as one united team, I am happy.

“I am also happy how I am performing under such conditions.”

Sergey Sirotkin, Williams Racing, on the grid

Sergey Sirotkin, Williams Racing, on the grid

Photo by: Glenn Dunbar / LAT Images

Previous article Verstappen has "no regrets" over "normal" Ocon shoves
Next article Infiniti Academy Middle East winner revealed

Top Comments

Latest news