Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Formula 1
Monaco GP
On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500
Breaking news

Vettel will win again - Webber

"Seb will be there again -- he just needs some time to deal with the car" - Mark Webber.

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull Racing  08

Jun.16 (GMM) Mark Webber has tipped his last F1 teammate Sebastian Vettel to eventually return to the top of the sport.

Off the back of his four consecutive titles, German Vettel has struggled in 2014 in the wake of Webber's retirement and the arrival at Red Bull of the younger Australian, impressive Daniel Ricciardo.

Dr Helmut Marko, the world champion team's outspoken director, has admitted to the BBC that amid Vettel's personal struggle earlier this year, he told the 26-year-old to "raise his game".

"Sebastian was complaining about having such a bad car," the Austrian said. "Furthermore, he thinks the way F1 is going is not the right one -– the cars should be monsters, not relatively easy to drive.

"With all these problems, maybe he wasn't as committed as he should have been, but that has changed," added Marko.

Webber, who had a competitive return to Le Mans at the weekend until his Porsche prototype retired, told motorline.cc that Vettel has also had a "hard time" in 2014 with "many technical problems".

"But I am not surprised about Daniel," he said. "I said before Melbourne that he would be 50:50 with Seb and everyone said I was crazy, but Seb will be there again -- he just needs some time to deal with the car."

Webber said Ricciardo is clearly a top F1 driver, but whether he is as good as the highly-successful Vettel is a question yet to be answered.

"For Seb, it's difficult at the moment because Mercedes are the absolute favourites," he said.

"But as soon as Seb sees victories again, he will be back. It's the same with Fernando (Alonso). When he sees an opportunity to get the win, he is always there.

"In the first half of this season, the fact that only Mercedes could win was easier for Daniel to accept," Webber added.

Speaking separately to Fairfax Media, Webber continued: "The last few races have been pretty good to Seb, but he hasn't had the rub of the green. So he will draw from that. He knows his day will come."

Previous article Ferrari wants meeting amid F1 'worries'
Next article Mixed reaction to Monday's Schumacher news

Top Comments

Latest news