Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Formula 1
Monaco GP
On this day: Olivier Panis takes only F1 win in chaotic Monaco GP

Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

F1 Group slams Silverstone for triggering break clause

The Formula 1 Group has slammed Silverstone's owners, the British Racing Drivers' Club, for triggering its British Grand Prix contract break clause on the eve of the 2017 race.

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes AMG F1 W07 Hybrid

The BRDC announced at Silverstone on Tuesday - three days before practice for this year's British GP begins - that its contract with F1 was no longer financial viable and it wanted to exercise its right to stop the deal after the 2019 event.

Though the BRDC wants to use the break clause as a chance to negotiate a better deal, a statement from F1 said its behaviour was 'posturing' and the timing of the decision was unfair.

"The week leading up to the British Grand Prix should be a week of great celebration for F1 and Silverstone," said the F1 Group statement.

"We deeply regret that Silverstone has chosen instead to use this week to posture and position themselves and invoke a break clause that will take effect in three years' time.

"We offered to extend the current deadlines in order to focus on everything that is great about Silverstone and Formula 1.

"Regretfully the Silverstone management has chosen to look for a short-term advantage to benefit their position."

The statement held the door open for talks with Silverstone to continue.

"Our focus is still to preserve the British Grand Prix," it added. "We will carry on negotiating with the promoter in good faith and in private to reach a fair and equitable solution."

BRDC chairman John Grant said under the existing deal Silverstone lost £2.8million in 2015 and £4.8m last year.

Previous article Silverstone triggers break clause in F1 British GP deal
Next article Silverstone sale to Liberty "not on agenda"

Top Comments

Latest news