Skip to main content

Recommended for you

How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

Rossi, O'Ward, and Grosjean cars destroyed in huge Indy 500 practice crash

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rossi, O'Ward, and Grosjean cars destroyed in huge Indy 500 practice crash

Josef Newgarden leads abbreviated Indy 500 practice marred by storms, major wreck

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Josef Newgarden leads abbreviated Indy 500 practice marred by storms, major wreck

Winners and losers from a strange NASCAR All-Star Race at Dover

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
Winners and losers from a strange NASCAR All-Star Race at Dover

Lando Norris opens up on McLaren award that transformed his racing career

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lando Norris opens up on McLaren award that transformed his racing career

Pedro Acosta does not believe a MotoGP riders' association is viable: "We are too egocentric"

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Pedro Acosta does not believe a MotoGP riders' association is viable: "We are too egocentric"

F1 Academy gets Disney merchandise collection for Canadian Grand Prix weekend

F1 Academy
Montreal
F1 Academy gets Disney merchandise collection for Canadian Grand Prix weekend

Rob Smedley slams slow F1 pitwall responses as "unacceptable"

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Rob Smedley slams slow F1 pitwall responses as "unacceptable"
Breaking news

FIA begins tender process for standard F1 engine

The FIA has begun the official process of finding an alternative engine supplier for Formula 1 from 2017, Motorsport.com can reveal, after making the first step in its formal tender process.

Start: Nico Rosberg, Mercedes AMG F1 W06 leads
Jean Todt, FIA President with the media
Bernie Ecclestone (GBR)
Nico Rosberg, Mercedes AMG F1 W06 leads team mate Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 W06 at the start of the race
FIA Logo
Bernie Ecclestone
Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF15-T at the start
Jean Todt, FIA President

With FIA president Jean Todt and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone determined to source a supply of cheap power units for independent teams, they believe the best way is for a standard engine supplier to be sourced.

Although it had previously been thought that a tender process would only begin following agreement among teams, the FIA has made clear how determined it is to get the plan in place.

It has now published documents making clear that it wants the alternative engine plan in place for the period from 2017 to 2019 – so wants those companies which could be willing to provide those engines to come forward.

In the document asking for companies to express their interest in supply the engines, it said: “The FIA has decided to launch a consultation among the engine manufacturers in order to potentially identify for the 2017, 2018 and 2019 seasons of the aforementioned Championship [F1] an exclusive alternative engine manufacturer which will be solely entitled to supply this alternative engine to the competitors entered for said seasons of the Championship.

“The FIA is now calling for expressions of interest to identify candidates interested in becoming the exclusive supplier of the alternative engine to the competitors. This call for expressions of interest is governed by French law.”

The FIA has said it wants companies – which must confirm they are independent of major car manufacturers – to state their interest in supplying the engines by November 23.

They must supply details of their technical and financial capabilities, and if these are accepted then the engine manufacturers will be put forward to begin the official tender process.

The documents do not state the technical specification of the engine, but details of this are available to those applying to the FIA.

Speaking at the Mexican Grand Prix a fortnight ago, FIA president Jean Todt said that the only way he would ease off the efforts for a standard engine would be if current manufacturers agreed to supply customers for $12 million.

“If we cannot come to this solution [for $12 million], we need to have another solution,” he said. “Otherwise the risk is of teams going bankrupt.”

Previous article Raikkonen “not expecting miracles” in Brazil
Next article Brazilian GP: Hamilton leads from Rosberg in FP1

Top Comments

Latest news