Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Why McLaren thinks Ferrari is quickest in Zandvoort, but may well be stuck

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why McLaren thinks Ferrari is quickest in Zandvoort, but may well be stuck

“It’s just nuts” – Lewis Hamilton baffled by Ferrari’s tyre-warming struggle

Formula 1
Dutch GP
“It’s just nuts” – Lewis Hamilton baffled by Ferrari’s tyre-warming struggle

Why the F1 Dutch GP weekend has been a "wake-up call" for Kimi Antonelli

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why the F1 Dutch GP weekend has been a "wake-up call" for Kimi Antonelli

Yuki Tsunoda: Racing Bulls is “pretty impressed” with my performance so far

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Yuki Tsunoda: Racing Bulls is “pretty impressed” with my performance so far

Why Lando Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
Dutch GP
Why Lando Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Toto Wolff jokes about Max Verstappen's Red Bull deal: Mercedes has him for the most important races

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Toto Wolff jokes about Max Verstappen's Red Bull deal: Mercedes has him for the most important races

Supercars Ipswich: Broc Feeney secures unlikely Sprint Cup title after second weekend win

Supercars
Ipswich Super 440
Supercars Ipswich: Broc Feeney secures unlikely Sprint Cup title after second weekend win

Kyle Busch Remembered: Breaking records and bumping the pace car at New Hampshire

NASCAR Cup
New Hampshire
Kyle Busch Remembered: Breaking records and bumping the pace car at New Hampshire
Breaking news

No engine price drop for 2014 - Renault

'We are not going to drop the price for anybody for 2014' - Carlos Ghosn

(L to R): Dr Helmut Marko, Red Bull Motorsport Consultant with Franz Tost, Scuderia Toro Rosso Team Principal; Carlos Ghosn, Chairman of Renault and Christian Horner, Red Bull Racing Team Principal

May 27 (GMM) Renault will look to reduce the price of its new turbo V6 engines over time, the French carmaker's president Carlos Ghosn said.

Reports have indicated that Renault's new engine for 2014 is millions more expensive than any of its rival F1 suppliers, causing Williams to jump ship to Mercedes.

(L to R): Dr Helmut Marko, Red Bull Motorsport Consultant with Franz Tost, Scuderia Toro Rosso Team Principal; Carlos Ghosn, Chairman of Renault and Christian Horner, Red Bull Racing Team Principal
(L to R): Dr Helmut Marko, Red Bull Motorsport Consultant with Franz Tost, Scuderia Toro Rosso Team Principal; Carlos Ghosn, Chairman of Renault and Christian Horner, Red Bull Racing Team Principal

Photo by: XPB Images

It is also rumoured that, while Caterham looks set to stay with Renault, Lotus is in talks with Ferrari.

Already signed up with Renault for 2014 are Red Bull's two teams, including Toro Rosso.

"We will not be surprised if the third one will come soon," said Ghosn. "We may have more but we don't need more.

"There is some concern about the cost of the engine, I understand it, but our commitment is to work to reduce these costs," Ghosn said in Monaco at the weekend.

He insisted, however, that the initial cost of the engines to customers - believed to be over EUR 20 million per season - will not be reduced.

"We are not going to drop the price for anybody for 2014," said Ghosn.

"But our commitment is every year we will be working hard to make this engine more efficient, to reduce the costs and then try to pass part of the cost reduction to the users."

Previous article Kobayashi tests Ferrari F10
Next article Rival teams not asked about 'secret' Mercedes test

Top Comments

Latest news