Skip to main content

Recommended for you

The voices in Mick Schumacher’s head for the Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
The voices in Mick Schumacher’s head for the Indy 500

Cadillac details new F1 upgrade package for Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Cadillac details new F1 upgrade package for Canadian GP

Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco to wait several weeks before undergoing surgery

MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief Carlos Ezpeleta defends decision to restart Catalan GP twice

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Honda reveals “important target” for F1 Canadian GP

Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Francesco Bagnaia fears wrist injury after Johann Zarco crash: “Something’s not quite right”

Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Johann Zarco recounts Barcelona MotoGP crash: "It was absolutely terrifying"
Breaking news

Palmer rubbishes Ocon rumours

Renault F1 rookie Jolyon Palmer has stated that there is no basis behind the reports of him possibly losing his seat to the team's reserve driver Esteban Ocon mid-season.

(L to R): Jolyon Palmer, Renault F1 Team with Esteban Ocon, Renault F1 Team Test Driver and Kevin Magnussen, Renault F1 Team
Kevin Magnussen, Renault Sport F1 Team RS16 leads team mate Jolyon Palmer, Renault Sport F1 Team RS16
Jolyon Palmer, Renault Sport F1 Team on the grid with Julien Simon-Chautemps, Renault Sport F1 Team Race Engineer
Esteban Ocon, Renault Sport F1 Team R16 Test Driver
Jolyon Palmer, Renault Sport F1 Team RS16
Jolyon Palmer, Renault Sport F1 Team RS16
Jolyon Palmer, Renault Sport F1 Team
Daniil Kvyat, Scuderia Toro Rosso

Palmer has made four grand prix appearances for Renault so far, but only has three starts to his name, having had to sit out the Bahrain race due to technical issues on the car.

While he had outraced highly-rated Kevin Magnussen in Melbourne, the Dane's upturn in pace since then, combined with Palmer's mixed recent form, have brought on suggestions that Renault considered promoting Ocon to a race seat at the Brit's expense.

In Barcelona, Palmer categorically denied these suggestions, confirming he was contracted with Renault for the whole season.

"I don't know where that rumour came from, to be honest," Palmer said on Thursday.

"It doesn't faze me. I saw already after Bahrain that someone said something - I had one race in Melbourne that was quite good and I didn't even race in Bahrain. Whatever.

"I've only had four races and it's been mixed results, but I think I'm looking forward to the future."

Palmer also downplayed the effect of those reports on his own mindset, saying that such happenings came with the territory of racing in Formula 1.

"It's what I've come to expect, really. It's Formula 1. I've seen it from the outside and now I've seen it from the inside.

"Honestly, I was a bit surprised after Bahrain... but, yeah, China obviously was a very tough weekend.

"But I don't really care, ultimately.  I know where I stand, in the team everyone knows where we stand."

Ocon will make his grand prix weekend debut with Renault in FP1 in Spain - and will also run in the test after the race.

Kvyat example different

Four races into the new season, Formula 1 has already seen a driver change, with Red Bull promoting Max Verstappen to the main team and demoting Daniil Kvyat to Toro Rosso.

While Palmer admitted Kvyat's demotion came as a surprise, the Brit insisted his situation was completely different.

"[The demotion] surprises me because he was doing quite a good job and he'd got a podium," Palmer conceded. "At the end of last year, he seemed to be quite closely matched with [Daniel] Ricciardo. [But] he's had a slightly harder start to this season.

"It doesn't worry me - it's a different team, a different situation, they're all contracted with Red Bull, I guess, and he's still in Formula 1, but with a different team."

Additional reporting by Oleg Karpov

Previous article Dutch teen Verschoor joins Red Bull Junior Team
Next article Kvyat yet to get "real explanation" from Red Bull

Top Comments

Latest news