Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Audi F1 engine ‘just lacks power’ – Gabriel Bortoleto

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Audi F1 engine ‘just lacks power’ – Gabriel Bortoleto

Despite manufacturer pushback: DTM approves special solution for Lamborghini

DTM
Zandvoort
Despite manufacturer pushback: DTM approves special solution for Lamborghini

Aprilia MotoGP chief: Pedro Acosta shouldn't have been allowed in restarted Catalan GP

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Aprilia MotoGP chief: Pedro Acosta shouldn't have been allowed in restarted Catalan GP

Haas F1 team boss furious about Esteban Ocon stories online: "F****** hell, is that journalism?"

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Haas F1 team boss furious about Esteban Ocon stories online: "F****** hell, is that journalism?"

What will F1’s switch to a 60-40 power split bring? Here’s the drivers’ verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1’s switch to a 60-40 power split bring? Here’s the drivers’ verdict

Charles Leclerc claims Ferrari is down on F1 engine power – "even to Ford"

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Charles Leclerc claims Ferrari is down on F1 engine power – "even to Ford"

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How Bruce McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
Feature
How Bruce McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success
Breaking news

Webber admits Ferrari switch was 'very close'

In the end, Webber says he will walk out of the Interlagos paddock late this month with his head held high.

Fernando Alonso, Scuderia Ferrari and Mark Webber, Red Bull Racing

Nov.1 (GMM) Mark Webber has admitted he came "very close" to ending his career in a Ferrari.

"So close," he is quoted by Speed Week in the Abu Dhabi paddock, "that I had to take the phone in my hand and call (Red Bull team owner) Dietrich Mateschitz."

Mark Webber, Red Bull Racing
Mark Webber, Red Bull Racing

Photo by: XPB Images

Webber, who will leave Formula One and switch to Le Mans for 2014 after this month's Brazilian Grand Prix, is referring to last season, when Ferrari was on the market to replace Felipe Massa.

"We couldn't find an agreement with Ferrari," said the Australian, "or I'd be sitting right now in Felipe Massa's car -- also in 2014," he revealed.

"I had set myself a deadline and on the Thursday before Canada last year I made the decision to stay another year with Red Bull," said Webber.

In the end, Webber says he will walk out of the Interlagos paddock late this month with his head held high, happy with his F1 career even though he missed the world title.

"It was not meant to be," he is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport, "but it was a proud and honest career.

"I see myself on par with the one-time champions," said Webber. "Am I a potential multiple champion? The answer is clearly not," he admitted.

Webber therefore admits that his teammate Sebastian Vettel, with whom he has shared a tense tenure at Red Bull, is better.

"Seb is exceptional," he said, "and I have no problem admitting it.

"In some ways I feel like Gerhard Berger with Ayrton Senna -- Gerhard was also a great racer, but not enough for the title."

Previous article Grosjean tops FP1 in Abu Dhabi
Next article Vettel moves back to the top in Abu Dhabi

Top Comments

Latest news