Formula 1
10 Jul
-
12 Jul
Event finished
17 Jul
-
19 Jul
FP1 in
1 day
MotoGP
17 Jul
-
19 Jul
FP1 in
1 day
R
Andalusian GP
24 Jul
-
26 Jul
FP1 in
8 days
Formula E
R
Berlin ePrix I
05 Aug
-
05 Aug
Next event in
19 days
R
Berlin ePrix II
06 Aug
-
06 Aug
Next event in
20 days
NASCAR Cup
15 Jul
-
15 Jul
Race 2 in progress . . .
R
19 Jul
-
19 Jul
Race in
3 days
IndyCar
10 Jul
-
12 Jul
Event finished
16 Jul
-
18 Jul
Race 1 in
1 day
WEC
13 Aug
-
15 Aug
Next event in
27 days
R
Bahrain
19 Nov
-
21 Nov
Next event in
125 days
Supercars
26 Jun
-
28 Jun
Event finished
17 Jul
-
19 Jul
Practice 1 in
2 days

WTCR allows teams to enter 2020 season with single car

shares
comments
WTCR allows teams to enter 2020 season with single car
By:
Jun 8, 2020, 8:57 AM

The World Touring Car Cup is allowing teams to enter the championship with a single car after re-opening entries for the rescheduled 2020 season.

The WTCR had originally closed entries on March 6, but the series said that it was always its intention to provide another opportunity for drivers who had missed the previous deadline because of the coronavirus pandemic.

As per the new entry process, teams will no longer be required to adhere to the minimum two-car rule that has been in place since the inaugural WTCR season in 2018.

Instead, teams can lodge a full-season entry with a single car, although only the driver will be eligible for championship points in such cases.

Teams that had already submitted a two-car entry for the 2020 season can field an additional car, but only for a driver who was under the age of 23 as of January 1, 2020 and has competed in no more than three WTCR races in the past.

As always, teams have the option to take part in selected events as wildcards, with the cost capped at €5,000 for each entry.

With the new entry process, the WTCR hopes to boost the grid size for the 2020 season, without jeopardising the victory chances of teams that had already committed to the championship.

As of now, the current WTCR grid is set to feature four cars each from Hyundai, Honda and Lynk & Co (although Cyan Racing is yet to name two of its four drivers), plus two Audis and two Cupras.

“From the outset we have been very aware of the difficulties COVID-19 has caused existing or prospective WTCR teams,” Francois Ribeiro, Head of Eurosport Events, the WTCR promoter, said. “That is why, together with the FIA, we introduced a number of cost-cutting measures to help them. 

“These cost savings combined with a Europe-only calendar and our pledge not to reduce the marketing and promotional investment in the series, has led to a number of enquiries from drivers and teams that had not previously considered WTCR. 

“However, to be fair to the existing teams, only registrations from single-car entrants can be submitted and these new entrants will not be eligible for the 2020 WTCR − FIA World Touring Car Cup for Teams, although drivers will be able to score points and compete for a coveted FIA world title. 

“Furthermore, if existing teams wish to submit an additional entry, they can do so but only for a driver who is eligible for the new Rookie classification.”

The WTCR also announced a raft of cost-cutting measures, including a 15 percent reduction in staff members to a maximum of six per car, a 30 percent reduction in tyre allocation and a 30 percent cut in petrol price to €4 per litre.

The series also revealed that it will host a one-day official test at the Salzburgring ahead of the start of the season at the same Austrian venue on September 12-13.

Additional reporting by Francesco Corghi

Next article
Alfa Romeo squad targeting WTCR comeback this year

Previous article

Alfa Romeo squad targeting WTCR comeback this year

Next article

Hyundai adds Brown to junior WTCR programme

Hyundai adds Brown to junior WTCR programme
Load comments

About this article

Series WTCR
Author Rachit Thukral