Skip to main content

Recommended for you

Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi suffered minor injuries to finger and ankle, still aims to race Indy 500

Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Lando Norris eyes Le Mans drive as McLaren endurance push heats up

Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
Official Coca-Cola 600 entry list released, Katherine Legge locked in

Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Toto Wolff keeps Mercedes grounded ahead of crucial Canadian GP upgrades

Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Kyle Kirkwood “here to win” Indy 500, not think championship

How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
How Alex Palou captured pole for the 110th running of the Indy 500

Rossi, O'Ward, and Grosjean cars destroyed in huge Indy 500 practice crash

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rossi, O'Ward, and Grosjean cars destroyed in huge Indy 500 practice crash

Josef Newgarden leads abbreviated Indy 500 practice marred by storms, major wreck

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Josef Newgarden leads abbreviated Indy 500 practice marred by storms, major wreck
Track atmosphere

Bahrain has accepted it will not host a Grand Prix in 2011.

The troubled island Kingdom's March season opener was called off but the World Motor Sport Council controversially agreed last week to extend the calendar to December and give Bahrain India's original October 30 race date.

No Bahrain Grand Prix in 2011
No Bahrain Grand Prix in 2011

Photo by: xpb.cc

That decision sparked moral outrage, the F1 teams decried logistical and insurance problems, while Bernie Ecclestone pointed out that the FIA rules prevent such late calendar tweaks.

The situation finally began to come to a head late on Thursday when FIA president Jean Todt told the F1 chief executive to propose a new solution.

"It has been made clear that this fixture cannot progress and we fully respect that decision," confirmed Bahrain's circuit boss Zayed R Alzayani.

Citing the logistical issues rather than any moral ones, he said the Kingdom has "no desire" to "detract from the enjoyment of F1" by creating an arduous calendar.

"We want our role in Formula One to continue to be as positive and constructive as it has always been, therefore, in the best interest of the sport, we will not pursue the rescheduling of a race this season."

FOTA vice-chairman Eric Boullier admitted on Thursday that the farcical on-off saga has damaged F1.

"We cannot do whatever we want because there are issues like this and we need to be a bit more cautious," said the Renault team boss.

Bahrain is now counting down to its 2012 season opener date, but Boullier is not sure that will happen either.

I think the question is just about the safety

Vitaly Petrov

"I don't know to be honest. I am not a magician," he said.

Said German driver Force India: "As long as it's safe I'm happy to race."

"I think the question is just about the safety," agreed Russian driver Vitaly Petrov. "If it's still dangerous I think it's better not to go."

Previous article Two DRS zones but only one detection point in Canada
Next article Red Bull expects difficult weekend in Canada

Top Comments

Latest news