Horner: Hard to criticise F1 over cancelled Australian GP

Red Bull boss Christian Horner says it is hard to criticise Formula 1 chiefs over their handling of the Australian Grand Prix because they were constantly chasing a ‘moving target’.

Horner: Hard to criticise F1 over cancelled Australian GP

Last weekend’s F1 season opener was called off just hours before first practice was due to start, in the wake of teams pulling out because of a positive coronavirus test for a McLaren staff member.

The decision caused a lot of anger among fans at the venue, who had queued at the gates that morning to get in before being told the event was off.

But Horner, who was clear he would have been happy to carry on with the event for Friday at least, reckoned it would be wrong to blame F1’s management entirely for what happened.

“I think it’s a very difficult one, because it was such a moving target,” Horner told Motorsport.com. “When we came there was nobody that had tested positive.

“We’ve had one positive case, and obviously the decision has been made not to race. It’s difficult to criticise. It’s something that is such a moving target.”

Read Also:

Some have questioned whether or not F1 should have tried to go ahead with the Melbourne weekend at all, in light of the fast-changing situation in Europe.

But Horner say that he understands why F1 had to call things off in the end, because the health of the competitors and fans had to take priority.

“I think the problem is, it’s a moving target,” he said about the developing situation on the ground in Melbourne.

“If the guy that tested positive before, then we wouldn’t come and then obviously we’d have all been saved a trip.

“It’s a shame, but at the end of the day, you have to put the health and well-being of the fans, the spectators, the team members, and the public first.”

F1 CEO Chase Carey apologised to fans in an open letter he sent earlier this week, with the sport having moved quickly to postpone other races and delay the new 2021 rules.

"First and foremost, our priority is the health and safety of the fans, teams, and organisations of Formula 1, as well as wider society," he said.

"We apologise to those fans affected by the cancellation in Australia, as well as the postponement of the other races to date.

"These decisions are being made by Formula 1, the FIA, and our local promoters in rapidly changing and evolving circumstances, but we believe they are the right and necessary ones.”

shares
comments
F1 news recap: 2016 Brazilian Grand Prix

Previous article

F1 news recap: 2016 Brazilian Grand Prix

Next article

Norris planning different helmet design for every F1 race

Norris planning different helmet design for every F1 race
Load comments
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Prime

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says Stuart Codling.

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Prime

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences.

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Prime

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Prime

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Prime

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1's elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he's recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix driver ratings Prime

Italian Grand Prix driver ratings

Two drivers produced faultless performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left many to rue what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Ricciardo would have won without Verstappen/Hamilton crash Prime

Why Ricciardo would have won without Verstappen/Hamilton crash

The clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton was the major flashpoint the 2021 Italian Grand Prix will be remembered for. Yet by this point, race leader Daniel Ricciardo had already done the hard work that would put him in position to end his and McLaren's lengthy win droughts, on a memorable afternoon in Monza

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Italian GP success is on for McLaren even if Verstappen dominates Prime

Why Italian GP success is on for McLaren even if Verstappen dominates

For the second time in 2021, McLaren will line up for the start of a grand prix from the first row. It knows it has the chance of "glory" if things go well for Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris at the start of the 2021 Italian Grand Prix, but even if they just maintain their grid positions, signs from the rest of the Monza weekend suggest success is very possible for Formula 1's other orange army

Formula 1
Sep 12, 2021