Lopez takes win at X Games Formula Off-Road feature
Takes his second win of the season, one day after racing in the Baja 500; Robby Gordon third
Apdaly Lopez, from Tecate, B.C., Mexico, scored an impressive victory in X Games Austin’s Formula Off-Road Presented by TRAXXAS race in front of a sun-scorched crowd and a live ABC network broadcast. Series founder Robby Gordon (in photo) was third.
Lopez scored his second win of the season driving the RPM Motorsports/VisitMexico.com TRAXXAS truck one day after competing in his home country’s Baja 500 in Ensenada. Sheldon Creed in the TRAXXAS truck came in second with Robby Gordon driving the SPEED Energy/TRAXXAS truck came home third.
The 16-truck final race at the Circuit of the Americas was set by two 10-truck heat races where only the top-eight trucks advanced to the finals. The remainder of the top-10 trucks included Jerett Brooks in the RePlay XD/Synergy Electric truck in fourth, Scotty Steele in fifth, Keegan Kincaid in the TRAXXAS truck, Henrique Cisneros in the Momo/Gridstar Racing truck, Nick Baumgartner in the Loctite machine, Gavin Harlien in the Tonka truck and Arie Luyendyk Jr. in the Gunk machine rounding out the top 10.
Created in 2013 as a series featuring identically prepared 600 horse-power trucks racing on DOT-approved Toyo Tires, the series’ popularity is driven by the public’s overwhelming interest in trucks, off-road racing and the unique extreme-sport format of the trucks. The Traxxas-branded trucks are capable of launching more than 20 feet in the air covering distances more than 150 feet. Speeds in excess of 150 mph reached on long straights. What sets the program apart from other racing series is that all the SST trucks are identically prepared and delivered to drivers in race-ready condition. Races are decided by driver skill alone rather than individual team engineering and budgets. Drivers and their personal mechanics are assigned specific SST technicians who together tune and make minor adjustments to the trucks.
Keep up with all the latest news from SPEED Energy Formula Off-Road Presented by TRAXXAS and Stadium Super Trucks by liking us on Facebook at facebook.com/stadiumsupertrucks as well as following on Twitter at twitter.com/SSuperTrucks.
X Games Austin - Final Results
Pos. Truck No. Driver Sponsor Hometown
1. 18 Apdaly Lopez VisitMexico.com/RPM Off Road Tecate, B.C. Mexico
2. 74 Sheldon Creed TRAXXAS Alpine, Calif.
3. 7 Robby Gordon SPEED/TRAXXAS/Toyo Orange, Calif.
4. 77 Jerett Brooks RePlay XD/Synergy Electric Alpine, Calif.
5. 5 Scotty Steele Steele Racing Peoria, Ariz.
6. 47 Keegan Kincaid TRAXXAS Crandon, Wisc.
7. 91 Henrique Cisneros Momo/Gridstar Racing Caracas, Venezuela
8. 12 Nick Baumgartner Loctite Iron River, Mich.
9. 55 Gavin Harlien Tonka Mesa, Ariz.
10. 25 Arie Luyendyk Jr. Gunk Scottsdale, Ariz.
11. 8 Justin Matney RPM Off Road Bristol, Va.
12. 6 Justin Lofton Cometic Westmorland, Calif.
13. 50 Burt Jenner Gladiator Los Angeles, Calif.
14. DNF 9 Bobby Runyan Jr. Hoonigan/Kooks Headers Modesto, Calif.
15. DNF 19 E.J. Viso LIVE/Momo/Gridstar Racing Caracas, Venezuela
16. DNF 97 B.J. Baldwin Toyo Tires Las Vegas, Nev.
DNQ 3 Charles Dorrance Piasa Group Austin, Texas
DNQ 10 Greg Adler 4 Wheel Parts/Toyo Tires Los Angeles, Calif.
DNQ 13 Nick Vanis ICON Wraps/Vanis Plumbing Long Beach, Calif.
DNQ 26 Jay Reichert Rigid Industries Austin, Texas
Arie Luyendyk Jr. to run his Formula Off-Road truck at the X Games Sunday
Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series at Miller Motorsports Park