Skip to main content

Recommended for you

IndyCar penalizes Collet and Harvey after Indy 500 inspection failures

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
IndyCar penalizes Collet and Harvey after Indy 500 inspection failures

Alexander Rossi admits “It’s not often that you are happy with second place” after Indy 500 qualifying

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alexander Rossi admits “It’s not often that you are happy with second place” after Indy 500 qualifying

It was a good Dover race, but not the NASCAR All-Star Race

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
It was a good Dover race, but not the NASCAR All-Star Race

Exotic dancers target Canadian Grand Prix weekend with Montreal strike

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Exotic dancers target Canadian Grand Prix weekend with Montreal strike

F1 fans split over Carlos Sainz's first laps at Madrid's new circuit

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 fans split over Carlos Sainz's first laps at Madrid's new circuit

Alex Palou delivers crushing final run to claim Indy 500 pole, Rossi second

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Alex Palou delivers crushing final run to claim Indy 500 pole, Rossi second

Denny Hamlin adds to legacy with million dollar win but mad it doesn't count

NASCAR Cup
All-Star Race
Denny Hamlin adds to legacy with million dollar win but mad it doesn't count

Naomi Schiff reveals how GT drivers felt about Max Verstappen's Nurburgring debut

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Naomi Schiff reveals how GT drivers felt about Max Verstappen's Nurburgring debut
Breaking news

"Substantial amount of evidence" delays Haas/Force India ruling

The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix stewards don't expect to rule on Haas’s protest of Formula 1 rival Racing Point Force India until Saturday due to the weight of evidence presented.

Kevin Magnussen, Haas F1 Team VF-18, leads Esteban Ocon, Racing Point Force India VJM11

Haas protested Force India ahead of this weekend’s season finale because, it is understood, it contests it is wrong for its competitor to be running a car not of its own making.

The VJM11 used by Force India is the design created and built by the original Force India entity that fell into administration over the summer and was reborn, and re-entered into the championship, as Racing Point Force India.

F1 regulations state all entries are responsible for designing their own cars.

The hearing began at 11am on Friday but had to be paused ahead of opening practice to examine additional evidence.

It reconvened at 3.40pm and personnel were spotted exiting roughly an hour later.

The stewards said they were now “deliberating on the matter” but would need time to come to a decision.

“A substantial amount of written evidence was submitted and each party made extensive verbal representation,” they said in a note to teams and officials.

“It is anticipated that a decision will not be handed down any earlier than just prior to FP3.”

Final practice begins at 2pm local time on Saturday.

While the nature of Haas’s appeal is over a technical matter, the root of the disagreement lies in an argument over Force India’s eligibility for prize money since the team became a new entry owned by a new company.

Haas does not believe the 'new' Force India should be allowed to immediately qualify for ‘Column 1’ payments, which teams need to finish in the top 10 in two of three seasons to be eligible for.

It has been pushing for a resolution but indicated on Thursday that had not been forthcoming.

Force India team principal Otmar Szafnauer said earlier on Friday: “We were not expecting it, really, so [the protest was] a bit of a surprise.

“But in a way it is good that all the information can now be presented to the stewards and in due course they will make a very informed decision.”

Speaking to Sky Sports F1 during FP2, Haas team boss Gunther Steiner said it was right for the stewards to take their time.

“For us it's serious, and that's why we took it to the stewards,” he said.

“Absolutely [it is a complex issue], that's why it takes so long, that's why we had two hearings.

“The stewards will take their time to think it through and to understand it, so they can make a good decision."

Previous article Renault: Ghosn exit no threat to F1 team
Next article Abu Dhabi GP: Bottas outpaces Red Bulls in FP2

Top Comments

Latest news