Skip to main content

Recommended for you

MotoGP considering reducing riders to one bike from 2027

MotoGP
MotoGP considering reducing riders to one bike from 2027

Toyota “nervous” of Hyundai threat ahead of WRC gravel season run

WRC
Rally Japan
Toyota “nervous” of Hyundai threat ahead of WRC gravel season run

1,101 miles of racing at Charlotte? Ross Chastain and Connor Zilisch are attempting it

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
1,101 miles of racing at Charlotte? Ross Chastain and Connor Zilisch are attempting it

Why Ducati has no doubts about Marc Marquez’s future

Feature
MotoGP
Feature
Italian GP
Why Ducati has no doubts about Marc Marquez’s future

Maro Engel clears air on 2025 Max Verstappen spat after “great duel” in Nurburgring 24 hours

Endurance
Maro Engel clears air on 2025 Max Verstappen spat after “great duel” in Nurburgring 24 hours

How will Max Verstappen re-adapt to F1 after Nurburgring 24h adventure?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How will Max Verstappen re-adapt to F1 after Nurburgring 24h adventure?

Manthey proposes radical DTM BoP reform: Rivals suspect tactical play

DTM
Manthey proposes radical DTM BoP reform: Rivals suspect tactical play

Toprak Razgatlioglu makes “really big step” in MotoGP but one key weakness remains

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Toprak Razgatlioglu makes “really big step” in MotoGP but one key weakness remains
Breaking news

McLaren admits Lowe's future uncertain

Ross Brawn: He'll be part of the team for the rest of this year.

Paddy Lowe, McLaren Mercedes Technical Director in the FIA Press Conference

Jan.31 (GMM) A notable absentee at the launch of McLaren's 2013 car on Thursday was technical director Paddy Lowe.

Ross Brawn confirmed recently that Lowe, initially in talks with Williams, had discussed a possible future move to Mercedes.

Paddy Lowe, McLaren Mercedes Technical Director in the FIA Press Conference
Paddy Lowe, McLaren Mercedes Technical Director in the FIA Press Conference

Photo by: XPB Images

McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh told reporters at Woking, where the wraps were taken off the evolutionary MP4-28, that 50-year-old Briton Lowe is staying put for 2013.

"The future is less certain," he admitted.

As for why Lowe is sitting out the launch, Whitmarsh said the technical director made the decision himself, to save the team the "embarrassment" of facing up to the recent controversy on the eve of McLaren's fiftieth anniversary.

Lowe "doesn't want to be a distraction," Whitmarsh said. "At his own election he felt it was inappropriate to be here.

"He'll be part of the team for the rest of this year," he added.

McLaren has followed Ferrari's lead by switching to a novel 'pull-rod' layout for the MP4-28's front suspension.

Racing it in 2013 will be Jenson Button and new arrival Sergio Perez.

"The MP4-28 isn't merely a refinement of last year's seven-race winning car," McLaren said in a statement, "it's a deep and sweeping redesign of an already successful chassis in several key areas."

Previous article Kaltenborn excuses Frijns for Sauber criticism
Next article McLaren launches the new MP4-28 in style

Top Comments

Latest news